There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Focus is a great enabler when it comes to anything that benefits your life or drives progress forwards.
In today’s post, we’ll be zeroing in on the importance of focus, helping you to understand how to develop more of this quality, and also helping you understand why focus is so important to reaching your potential and giving you access to the best you have to offer.
Focus is the capacity to ignore distractions and stay on task, and nearly every single culture on planet earth understands the power of focus.
In fact, the Egyptians had a hieroglyph that looks like an open eye and often placed this at the top of huge monuments. Some archeologists believe that they were paying homage to the power of focus and attention.
Many eastern cultures worship birds of prey and see them as symbols of the divine – their ability to focus on prey even miles into the air is legendary.
Buddhists say that focused attention is the key to becoming one with the universe or achieving the legendary status of Buddhahood and enlightenment.
On a more concrete level, focused attention towards anything drives improvement, in fact, attention and focus are so intimately linked that you can’t have one without the other. This works on the physical level of our brains too – you literally cannot rewire your neurology without attention.
Unfortunately, in modern times we have the unique problem of being bombarded with so much information on a daily basis that it can harm our capacity to focus and pay attention.
Our brains simply haven’t evolved to handle this sheer volume of stimulation, and as such it’s up to us to train our minds to focus on what is most important. If we don’t take measures to train ourselves in this direction, we fall prey to procrastination and self-doubt.
These focus quotes can help motivate you around the importance of training this most fundamental of skills.
- “Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui Gon Jinn
- “Focus on the solution, not on the problem.” – Jim Rohn
- “To be successful, your personal plan must focus on what you want, not what you have.” – Nido Qubein
- “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
- “If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” – Aristotle Onassis
- “Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.” – Paulo Coelho
- I don’t care how much power, brilliance or energy you have, if you don’t harness it and focus it on a specific target, and hold it there you’re never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Sure, some people are born with the genes that make them better-looking or happier than the average individual. But what really elevates a regular Joe or Jane to superhero status is laser-sharp focus, perseverance, and the ability to keep on going when everyone else would have quit.” – Ian Tuhovsky
- “To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.” – T.F. Hodge
To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.” – T.F. Hodge
- “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.” – Bruce Lee
- “If we want to direct and focus our lives, career, relationships, achievements, then we must take control of our consistent actions.” – James Frey
- “Just as the sun’s rays, focused through a magnifying glass, can create intense heat and fire, your intelligence and abilities, focused and concentrated on a few key activities, can enable you to accomplish much more than the average person can and in far less time.” – Brian Tracy
- “Where your attention goes, your time goes.” –Idowu Koyenikan
- “Concentration can be cultivated. One can learn to exercise willpower, discipline one’s body and train one’s mind.” – Anil Ambani
- “It’s important to focus on what we do best and master one craft at a time.” – Russell Simmons
- “Instead of focusing on how much you can accomplish, focus on how much you can absolutely love what you’re doing.” – Leo Babauta
- “It is wise to direct your anger towards problems – not people; to focus your energies on answers – not excuses.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Focus on where you want to go, not where you’re currently are.” – Thomas J. Vilord
- “Focus more on your desire than on your doubt, and the dream will take care of itself.” – Mark Twain
- “It’s nearly impossible to achieve focus and self-discipline separately. Being disciplined in your pursuit of long-term goals is only possible if you can consistently focus on the decisions and actions that lead to accomplishing those goals.” – Peter Hollins
- “The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance.” – Oprah Winfrey
The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Focus on a big dream that includes others; By empowering others you will in turn become empowered.” – John A. Andrews
- “At times we tend to focus on the negative aspects of our lives and we forget the blessings that we all have.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Always try to be positively focused on what you want and adamantly averse to those trying to keep you from it.” – Monica L. Wofford
- “Wherever you focus your attention and put your energy, that area will bring forth fruit.” – John A. Andrews
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” – Will Durant
- “Success isn’t magic or hocus-pocus. It’s simply learning how to focus.” – Jack Canfield
- “Whether trying to change our family, our company, or the world, we are powerful only when we focus on what WE can do.” – John B. Izzo
- “Whether you’re 9 or 90, stop trying to fix the things you’re bad at, and focus on the things you’re good at.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
- “Keep focused on the substantive issues. To make a decision means having to go through one door and closing all others.” – Abraham Zaleznik
- “You don’t get results by focusing on results. You get results by focusing on the actions that produce results.” – Mike Hawkins
- “I’m someone who loves to enjoy life and tries to focus on real things and real friendships. That’s why I live very simply.” – Cameron Diaz
- “Goals are like a map. They help us determine where we want to end up, and give us personal direction on which to focus our energy.” – Catherine Pulsifer
Goals are like a map. They help us determine where we want to end up, and give us personal direction on which to focus our energy.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Where focus goes, energy flows. And if you don’t take the time to focus on what matters, then you’re living a life of someone else’s design.” – Tony Robbins
- “You simply can’t effectively focus on 2 important things at once.” – Gary Keller
- Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them.” – Jack Canfield
- “Focus on your problem zones, your strength, your energy, your flexibility, and all the rest.” – Jack LaLanne
- “I think being a competitive diver for years helps you focus and dedicate yourself to what’s needed.” – Jason Statham
- “Affirmation isn’t intended to make you delude yourself or simply throw a blanket over the negative aspects of your life. The intention is to magnifyyour focus on the positive reality you desire and the possibility thereof.” – Jason Thomas
- “A man should never be appointed into a managerial position if his vision focuses on people’s weaknesses rather than on their strengths.” – Peter F. Drucker
- “My success, part of it certainly, is that I have focused in on a few things.” – Bill Gates
- “When walking, walk. When eating, eat.” – Zen Proverb
- “Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled.” – Barack Obama
- “We know that we need to walk more, talk more, and focus more from time to time. With mindful walking, we can also set and take on challenges beyond our comfort zone.” – Hugh O’Donovan
We know that we need to walk more, talk more, and focus more from time to time. With mindful walking, we can also set and take on challenges beyond our comfort zone.” – Hugh O’Donovan
- “In business, staying focused requires that you turn most opportunities down.” – Margaret Heffernan
- “Energy is the essence of life. Every day you decide how you’re going to use it by knowing what you want and what it takes to reach that goal, and by maintaining focus.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction.” – Rachel Carson
- “It’s better to be focused than busy” – Ralph Simone
- “Focus 90% of your time on solutions and only 10% of your time on problems.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo
- “Meditation is a time to focus, train the mind, and bring it to stillness. It is not a time to rest and relax.” – Darren Main
- “Organize as much as possible around teams, to achieve enhanced focus, task orientation, innovativeness, and individual commitment.” – Tom Peters
- “Most of the time, we get stuck on a problem because our focus is too narrow. When we repeatedly use one technique and accustomed ways of thinking, we limit our ability and stifle creativity.” – Jennifer April
- “The artists who endure are the ones who stay focused even after they have reached the top of their profession.” – Simon Cowell
- “We get what we motionally focus on! Focus on what we want with passion and excitement, and presto! It’s on its way.” – Lynn Grabhorn
- “I needed to be in the bush. There I find solitude and beauty and purity and focus. That’s where my heart lies.” – Mark Burnett
- “Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive.” – Matt Cameron
- “One of the keys to thinking big is total focus. I think of it almost as a controlled neurosis, which is a quality I’ve noticed in many highly successful entrepreneurs.” – Donald Trump
- “Not taking breaks from a big task may also lead us to become burned out. The constant stress from one task may overwhelm your mind. Mental fatigue will affect our ability to focus and solve problems.” – John Morgan
- “Talent is the result of hard work and focus; it is not an innate gift. People are capable of growth in pretty much every trait and ability. What one person can do, so can you.” – Joe Gaebel
- “I focus on one thing and one thing only – that’s trying to win as many championships as I can.” – Kobe Bryant
- “Focusing on what you don’t have keeps you too preoccupied to enjoy the things you do have!” – Andrew Farland
- “Focus on the possibilities for success, not on the potential for failure.” – Napoleon Hill
- “I learned long ago to focus on things you can control and don’t even pay attention to things you don’t.” – Bryan Cranston
- “90% of every art form is garbage – dance and stand-up, painting and music. Focus on the 10% that’s good, suck it up, and drive on.” – Patton Oswalt
- “I only want to do better work. That’s the focus of my life.” – Ajay Devgan
- “The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear.” – Brian Tracy
- “To improve your focus and effectiveness, try to find an optimum working style; one that suits you (and your job description) the best.” – Timo Kiander
- “Clarity affords focus.” – Thomas Leonard
- “Hack away at the inessentials.” – Bruce Lee
Hack away at the inessentials.” – Bruce Lee
- “Learning how to rein in your thoughts and focus is going to help you to achieve your goals in life. Without focus, you can never achieve anything.” – Eric Phillips
- “Efficiency and focus are the keys to success.” – Robert Crais
- “So rather than trying to do too many things at once, switch over to a mindset of focusing on just one thing while you are working.” – Timo Kiander
- “A major stimulant to creative thinking is focused questions. There is something about a well-worded question that often penetrates to the heart of the matter and triggers new ideas and insights.” – Brian Tracy
- “Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow.” – Aesop
The importance of developing a greater focus in your life can’t be understated. Your ability to concentrate and focus is the ground on which all your success is built, any time spent cultivating this ability will be rewarded tenfold in the future.
We hope these focus quotes help inspire you to begin that journey today.
And if you want more eye-opening quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- The Power of Focus: 14 Habits to Improve Your Focus
- 79 Productivity Quotes for Getting Things Done at Work
- 100 Hard Work Quotes to Achieve All You Want in Life
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.