There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
As you go through life, you’ll meet a lot of different people. Talking with others can help you grow as a person.
Equipping yourself with an arsenal of random questions to ask people is a great way to spark interesting and enlightening conversations. They can also help you with personal and professional success.
What You Will Learn
What is the Point of Asking Random Questions?
You can use random questions as an ice breaker, a fun game, to get to know someone better, step out of your comfort zone… or just as a friendly opener.
Questions help you get to know people better. They are also a way of showing the other person that you are interested in and listening to what they are saying.
In this article, we will introduce you to 171 random questions to ask people throughout your life, broken into categories so you can scan to the ones most applicable to your situation.
Random Questions to Ask Friends
Friendships are important for so many reasons. According to Psychology Today, friendships support emotional well-being, are associated with greater happiness, and can even contribute to lower blood pressure and a longer lifespan. You can use the following questions with friends to get to know them better, let them know you better, or gain appreciation.
- Would you want to be famous? Why?
- What would a perfect day look like for you?
- If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would you invite?
- Do you ever think about how you will die?
- What are you most grateful for in your life?
- What quality or ability would you choose if you could gain something that you can’t do now?
- What is the accomplishment you’re most proud of in your life?
- Do you have a lifelong dream?
- If you had a crystal ball that could answer any questions, what would you want to ask of it?
- What do you value most in a relationship?
- What is your most treasured memory?
- What does friendship mean to you?
- What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
- How do you feel about your family?
- When was the last time you cried?
Random Questions to Ask Family
Talking to family members, either close or distant, can be comforting, enlightening, and teach us a lot about ourselves and where we come from.
Use these random questions, some recommended by MyHeritage, to ask family to gain personal insight into yourself and your family.
- Do you share a name with someone else in the family?
- Do you have a nickname?
- Where were you born?
- Are you religious?
- Where have you lived?
- Can you tell me any family stories?
- What schools did you go to?
- Did you play sports in school or have any other special activities?
- Did you go to college? What did you study?
- What is your career?
- Were you in the military?
- How did you meet your spouse (if married)?
- Have you been married more than once?
- Do you have any genetic health issues?
- Have you ever had surgery or been hospitalized?
- Do you have any embarrassing family experiences?
- Do you know any family secrets?
- Have you done any genealogy study on our family?
- Do you know who our great, great, great grandparents are?
- Do you know any distant cousins that have lost contact with the family?
- How are you related to my parents?
- Do you know if we have any famous relatives?
- Do we have any relatives who are criminals?
- Are there any businesses in our family?
- Is there any mental illness in our family?
- Are there any murderers in our family?
- Are there any musicians in our family?
- How are you related to me?
- Did you know my parents before they had kids?
- How did grandma and grandpa meet?
- What family member were you closest to growing up?
- What family members do you wish I would have known?
- Who in our family has had the biggest influence on your life?
- What was grandma and grandpa’s wedding like?
- How did my aunt and uncle meet?
- What is your favorite family memory?
- What is the worst family story you can remember?
- What family traditions were there that we don’t follow anymore?
- What was the most important thing your parents taught you?
- How well do you know me?
- Did you know me when I was a baby?
- What are your first memories of me?
- Do you know what my talents are?
- Do you remember anything from my childhood?
- What is our family’s country of origin?
- What do you really know about our family?
Random Questions to Ask Strangers
Throughout your life, you’ll meet strangers at different points. At the airport, shopping for groceries, when dining out, when traveling – interacting with strangers is just a part of life. Asking random questions can help you make conversation with someone you don’t know but are faced with for some reason.
Try asking some of these random questions to strike up a conversation or make small talk while you are with a stranger.
- Do you like sports?
- What’s your favorite sports team?
- Travel anywhere lately?
- What’s your favorite vacation destination?
- What brings you here?
- How do you like this place? (airport, hotel, grocery store, etc.)
- Seen any good movies lately?
- What do you enjoy most about traveling?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- Do you have a favorite hotel that you like?
- Have you ever won the lottery?
- What do you think about that (recent news story, vaccine requirement, other current events)?
- What’s your favorite TV or streaming show?
- What do you think about Trump?
- Have you had COVID?
- What do you think about the vaccine?
- Has the pandemic hurt you or your family?
- Have you seen any live Broadway shows before the pandemic?
- What is your favorite brand of liquor?
- Are you a beer or whiskey drinker?
- What do you think about vaping?
- Do you have teenagers or toddlers?
- Do you like to fish?
- Are you a golfer?
- Have you been to Disney World or Disney Land?
- What do you think about how the pandemic originated?
- What’s your favorite airline?
- Have you had any bad experiences flying?
- Do you ever get mistaken for looking like a celebrity or famous person?
- Do I know you?
- Are you related to anyone famous?
- What is your favorite kind of automobile?
- Do you collect anything?
- What do you do for a living?
- How are you doing in this pandemic?
- What do you think the government should do about coronavirus?
- Do you think our government is doing a good job or is in trouble?
- What do you think about the national debt?
- What is your employer doing about COVID?
- Have you ever gone zip lining?
- What’s the most exotic vacation you’ve been on?
- Ever been to Vegas?
- Where was the best steak you’ve ever had?
- What do you think of the Kardashians?
- What’s the best pizza you’ve ever had?
- Is your (hobby, job, or leisure activity) hard to do?
- Do you have any favorite movies from your childhood?
Random Questions to Ask a Guy You Like
Talking to a guy you like is not always easy. Whether it’s a love interest, friend, or colleague, asking random questions can help you start a conversation and ease the tension.
Use the following questions to ask a guy you like and start a fun and interesting dialog.
- If you could be any fictional character from a book or movie, who would you choose?
- What kind of music do you like?
- What’s on your current playlist?
- What do you like to watch on YouTube?
- What do you like to do on a date, go out on the town or take a long walk to talk?
- Do you prefer talking on the phone or texting?
- What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?
- What’s the worst mistake you’ve made in past relationships?
- What’s the most fun date you’ve gone on?
- Have you ever ditched a date?
- What are your plans for the weekend?
- If you could do anything, what would it be?
- Do you play any sports?
- What do you like to watch on TV?
- What’s your favorite snack?
- Do you like animals?
- Have you ever gone hunting?
- Do you like camping and outdoor activities like hiking and biking?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Do you like social media or hate it?
- Are you a fan of technology or natural processes better?
- Do you think the human race will leave planet earth at some point in the future?
- Are you very political?
- Do you have a favorite charity?
- Are you religious?
- Are you close to your family?
- Have you ever been engaged to be married?
- Did you go to your senior prom in high school?
- Do you prefer tennis shoes, boots, or sandals?
- Do you have a favorite meal?
- Have you ever hurt someone in a physical fight?
- Do you believe in keeping your word?
Random Questions to Ask a Girl You Like
Asking interesting random questions of a girl you like can mean the difference between an awkward encounter and a date to remember.
Whether you’re on a first date or just trying to get to know someone better, asking great questions lets you make connections and create a bond.
Use this list of random questions to ask a girl you like to get to know each other better and see where you want to take your relationship.
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your favorite candle scent?
- Do you prefer a hotel stay or camping under the stars?
- Would you rather be locked in an amusement park or in a library?
- What’s your ideal night out, something fun and exciting or something serene and relaxing?
- What would be your dream job?
- What would your dream home look like?
- Do you have outdoor survival skills?
- Do you like sports or hate them?
- Are you a dog or cat person?
- Are you a jeans and sweatshirt type or a designer label type?
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- If money was no object, what’s one super expensive item you would want?
- What kind of music do you like?
- What’s your favorite movie of all time?
- Are you a daredevil or a wait-and-see type?
- Do prefer a shower or a bath?
- Do you prefer a clean-shaven face, a moustache, or full beard?
- Do you prefer guys with short hair or long hair?
- What’s the worst pickup line you’ve heard?
- Do you have a favorite quote?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What 3 things can you not do without?
- What made you realize you were an adult?
- What’s the first thing you notice about people?
- Do you have any phobias?
- Do you believe in keeping promises?
- What is your favorite place to be?
- Do you think romantic couple should also be friends?
- Are you comfortable among a lot of people or just around a few people?
- Do you prefer blonde or brunette hair on guys?
Final Thoughts on Random Questions to Ask People Throughout Your Life
Having a list of random questions to ask can accomplish a lot of things – it opens doors, creates connections, increases understanding, helps others, and more. Asking the right question can be life changing, as author Marc Champagne discusses with Matt Johnson and Psychology Today.
Whether you are asking a stranger something, or talking to a guy or girl you like, questions can lead to greater insight and inspiration. Life is all about learning and personal growth. Don’t miss the opportunity for growth and connection that asking questions brings.
If you're looking questions to ask a significant other in your life, here's our list of questions to ask that special girl (or boy).
Finally, if you want to ask better questions, then watch this short, 20-minute course to learn how to have a great conversation with virtually anyone.