99 Funny Controversial Topics to Spark a Lively Debate
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
In a world where things can get pretty serious, it’s nice to be able to sit down and focus on nothing… at least for a little while.
Well, nothing too heavy that is.
So for today, I’m going to give your cynical and worried brain a day off by offering 99 funny controversial topics to spark a lively and fun debate.
Choose your sparring partner wisely… spouse, parent, child, co-worker, friend.
Whoever it is, they should have a good sense of humor and wit about them to make things more interesting.
I’ve also broken them down into categories, in case you want to mix up your partners.
What You Will Learn
- Funny and Hypothetical Controversial Topics
- Funny Controversial Topics About Relationships
- Funny Controversial Topics About Sports
- Funny Controversial Topics About The Arts
- Funny Controversial Topics About Kids
- Funny Controversial Topics About The Universe
- Funny and Random Controversial Topics
- Final Thoughts on Funny Controversial Questions
Funny and Hypothetical Controversial Topics
These set of questions are far fetched, if not impossible, which is what makes them funny controversial topics to banter!
- If you could be a superhero or a super villain for one week, which would you choose? What would your power be and how would you use it?
- Which do you believe came first, the chicken or the egg?
- If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound?
- If you could change sexes for one month, would you? What is the first thing you’d do?
- If you could go back to your childhood, what is one thing you would change?
- Do you believe that all actions have consequences and that one decision can change the course of your life forever?
- If you were offered to step into your dream job, with no training, would you accept it knowing that you may fail?
- If you were given the chance to be reincarnated into any animal of your choosing, which would it be?
- Do you believe in ghosts? If so, would you be afraid if you saw one?
- If you woke up one morning able to play any instrument professionally, which would it be?
- Would you rather be good looking or smart?
- Do you believe that robots will eventually replace humans? As in more people will utilize robotic parts to fix things wrong with their bodies?
- If you won the lottery and knew you’d never run out of money, what are the top 5 things you’d spend it on, in ascending order? #1 being the first thing you’d spend it on.
- If you could commit one crime without ever being caught, would you? If so, which one and why?
- Could you kill a person if it were in self defense?
- If you could switch bodies with anyone, who would you pick?
- If men could have babies, would you want to?
- If you could be the best mom in the world with perfect, well adjusted kids… or get your pre-baby body back, which would you choose?
Funny Controversial Topics About Relationships
Without getting too serious… choosing “the one” you’d like to spend your life with often requires some getting to know you-type questions beforehand.
It’s a good idea to know where your future life mate stands on a variety of issues, even if some of the questions are just plain silly.
After all, surprises can be great… but some are best revealed ahead of time, on the off chance you won’t like it.
- What is the first quality you are attracted to in another person when it comes to dating?
- What do you believe are the key ingredients in a lasting relationship?
- What would you consider to be a deal breaker when considering marriage with someone?
- Do you think men go through hormonal changes a few days every month, same as women?
- If your wife offered to do anything you asked in exchange for you getting her menstrual period for one cycle, would you do it?
- Have you ever had a sex dream about one of your partner’s friends or a family member? If so, would you tell them who?
- Would you prefer your spouse to have the same interests? Or have your own hobbies and space that is just for you?
- Do you believe sex before marriage is necessary to determine if the relationship will work in that department? Or do you believe sex can improve over time?
- Do you believe that when you get married, you marry your spouse’s entire family?
- What is the one sin your partner could commit that is unforgivable in your eyes?
- Would you consider remarriage if your spouse died?
- You’re done having children. Do you opt for a tubal ligation or vasectomy?
- Do you think a vast age difference can work in a marriage? What is your personal cutoff point?
- Would you consider an internet search or doing a criminal background check on someone before things got too serious?
- Is trust given or earned?
- If you just found out your spouse was convicted of a violent or sex related crime when they were in college, or shortly thereafter, would you rethink the relationship? Or are you capable of leaving the past in the past?
- Who’s the cartoon bad guy… Tom or Jerry?
- Are you closer with your own parents or your significant other’s?
Funny Controversial Topics About Sports
When it comes to funny controversial questions, sports related ones are a narrow category. That being said, how many of us have made jokes about the “golf clap” or a tennis player’s grunt?
- What is the one sport you’d like to try, but never did?
- Is professional wrestling an actual sport?
- When you hear the word, “football”… do you think of American Football or soccer?
- What is the most boring sport in the world?
- Which sport do you think is missing from the Olympics?
- Should women be able to play professional sports in the same leagues as men?
- Has the National Football League (NFL) gone too far with penalties over certain tackles or celebrations?
- Why do tennis players grunt when they hit the ball? And why does it sound sexual?
Funny Controversial Topics About The Arts
Art is a part of life. It is subjective and can be a wonderful creative outlet or escape. So it’s no surprise this category made the cut for my funny controversial topics.
- Do you prefer to read the book or watch the movie first?
- Which legendary band do you feel is, or was, overrated?
- Do you think celebrities are capable of lasting, monogamous relationships?
- If you could be famous for being an actor, artist or musician… which would you choose and why?
- Star Wars or Star Trek?
- Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
- What movie mirrors the story of your life?
- Do you think movies set unrealistic expectations when it comes to dating and marriage?
- What famous movie have you never seen that almost everyone else in the world has?
Funny Controversial Topics About Kids
They say children are the future… and it is our job to help mold them. Whether it is as a parent, teacher, coach, mentor or friend. These questions are designed to get your take on things when it comes to the next generation.
- Do you believe that television and video games really rot a child’s brain?
- Are computers helping or hindering a child’s development?
- At what age should a child be given a cell phone?
- Do you feel safe posting pictures of your younger children on social media?
- What would be worse? Your child being abducted or killed?
- At what age do you think a child can stay home alone?
- How old should a child be to babysit younger kids?
- Do you believe children should have a job once they are old enough?
- What is the going rate for the Tooth Fairy?
- When do you think a child stops believing in Santa Claus?
- When would you allow your child to start dating? What would the ground rules be?
- At what age do you plan to have the sex talk with your child?
- If you found out your child were pregnant as a teenager, what would you do?
- Given that each child is different, and they are being exposed to things at much younger ages, do you feel movie ratings should be eliminated or re-evaluated?
- Would you ever admit to your children that you tried drugs?
- Would you rather be your child’s friend or disciplinarian?
- Do you believe that bullying is taught at home?
- At what point should you stop fighting your child’s battles for them?
Funny Controversial Topics About The Universe
No list of funny controversial questions would be complete with some discussion about the universe. It is vast and unknown, yet full of possibility.
We didn’t just land here. Or did we?
- Do you believe in an afterlife?
- Do you believe in aliens? Do you think they’ve already been on Earth?
- If you knew there was no God or threat of eternal damnation, would you live your life any differently?
- Are good morals innate or a result of fear?
- Did God create the earth or was it the Big Bang Theory?
- Should Pluto still be considered a planet?
- If you were offered the gift to see and know all in the universe, would you accept?
- What would you say if your life was merely a dream, like a purgatory, and none of this was truly real?
- If you found out that humans are merely part of an experiment, being controlled by aliens like puppets, would you quit?
- Do you believe in luck?
- Do you think that humans will eventually inhabit Mars, or some other planet, before Earth is uninhabitable?
- Should we send our trash in containers to the moon, rather than destroy our own planet?
Funny and Random Controversial Topics
These funny controversial questions don’t fit a particular mold… but they are worth some street cred nonetheless.
- What is the best pizza topping?
- Would you eat in a restaurant again after finding a cockroach in your food?
- Is gluten free a real thing? Or are doctors just acknowledging the fact that carbs make you feel bad by putting a label on it?
- How many drinks per day do you consider too many?
- Do you lie on medical forms about certain lifestyle choices or habits?
- Now that marijuana is legal almost everywhere, would you consider using it if you haven’t already done so?
- Have you ever lied about where you were going just to get away?
- What is the greatest secret you ever kept from someone?
- Is there really any such thing as a white lie? Or is it just a lie?
- Have you ever silently wished harm on another person?
- Do you believe in karma?
- Cat person or dog person?
- Which do you hate more: vomiting or diarrhea?
- Is the United States ready for a female President?
- What is the one politically incorrect thought you’ve wanted to blurt out loud, but never have?
- Do you believe that being a stay-at-home parent is a “full time job” and contributes to the family as much as a working spouse does?
Final Thoughts on Funny Controversial Questions
As I mentioned at the start, life can get pretty intense at times. And our world as a whole has seen some pretty crazy things during the last 18 months.
But we will prevail because we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel… a new normal is upon us.
It’s true that adversity can make us stronger, but sometimes it’s our relationships with others that help us to be our best. They are the ones that see us through.
Letting go every now and again is a great way to relax and recenter. And these funny controversial questions can be a welcomed distraction on the road back.
Nicole Krause has been writing both personally and professionally for over 20 years. She holds a dual B.A. in English and Film Studies. Her work has appeared in some of the country’s top publications, major news outlets, online publications and blogs. As a happily married (and extremely busy) mother of four… her articles primarily focus on parenting, marriage, family, finance, organization and product reviews.