61 Healthy Breakfast Ideas to Jumpstart Your Morning Eating Habit
Last Updated on
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Do you consider making breakfast the least of your priorities? You might be one of the many who have a hectic daily schedule so that preparing a meal after waking up has become optional.
It turns out the quality of the rest of your day is directly affected by whether or not you’ve eaten breakfast.
Although it may feel like so much of a bother at first, make it a conscious choice to eat a nutritious breakfast at the start of your day.
In fact, numerous studies have proven how eating (or not eating) breakfast affects one’s health. It has been found that people who eat breakfast tend to have stable levels of energy, better recall and focus, lower levels of LDL or bad cholesterol, and lower risks of developing diabetes, heart ailments, and obesity.
The opposite effects are found in those who always skip breakfast. To get more energy, people who don’t eat breakfast usually consume too much caffeine and sugar.
To reap its positive health benefits, make your breakfast using the most nutrient-dense ingredients. Many of these 61 healthy breakfast ideas use cereal fiber, fruits, and vegetables.
And who says that breakfast has to be a boring meal? There is a wide selection of tasty dishes you can prepare for your mornings. The suggested recipes below are categorized according to breakfast types for easy reference.
What You Will Learn
- HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Puddings, Porridges, and Breakfast Bowls
- 1. Cardamom and Toasted Millet Breakfast Bowl
- 2. Peanut Butter Banana Chia Oatmeal
- 3. Mango Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
- 4. Blueberries ‘n’ Cream Amaranth Porridge
- 5. Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 6. Pumpkin, Yogurt, Granola Parfait Breakfast
- 7. Banana, Peanut Butter, Chia Seed Pudding
- 8. Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
- 9. Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
- 10. Beet, Raspberry, and Vanilla Smoothie Bowl
- 11. Creamy Breakfast Polenta
- 12. Risgrøt – Norwegian Porridge
- 13. Roasted Rhubarb with Buckwheat Porridge
- 14. Superfood Bircher Muesli
- 15. Creamy Banana and Maca Buckwheat Porridge
- HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Sandwiches, Toasts, Fruit Wraps, and Pancakes
- 16. Avocado Toast with Egg
- 17. Lox Avocado Toast
- 18. Curried Tofu Salad Sandwich
- 19. Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- 20. Buchujeon – Korean Garlic Chive Pancake
- 21. Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
- 22. Sweet Potato Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
- 23. Fruity Rainbow Breakfast Wrap
- 24. Fruit Salad Tacos
- 25. Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam and Peanut Butter Breakfast Toasts
- 26. Crunchy Granola Apple-Peanut Butter Wrap
- 27. Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Smoothies
- 28. Banana Breakfast Smoothie
- 29. Apple Ginger Spice Green Smoothie
- 30. Strawberry Orange Sunrise Smoothie
- 31. Carrot Cake Smoothie
- 32. Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
- 33. Mango Lime Smoothie
- 34. Power Smoothie (Blueberry, Banana, Oat)
- 35. Creamy Watermelon Honey Smoothie
- 36. 4-Ingredient Mango Green Smoothie
- 37. Coconut, Vanilla, and Matcha Smoothie
- 38. Spinach, Banana Protein Smoothie
- Breads, Pastries, and Other Baked Goods
- 39. Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Almond Breakfast Cookies
- 40. Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
- 41. Superfood Breakfast Cookies
- 42. Zucchini Banana Oat Bread
- 43. Coconut Sourdough Bread
- 44. Lemon Matcha Light and Fluffy Muffins
- 45. Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
- 46. Cranberry Orange Scones
- 47. Cherry Vanilla Ricotta Crostata
- 48. Egg Muffins
- 49. Make-Ahead Tofu Scramble and Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- 50. Eggs Baked In Portobello Mushroom
- 51. Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Avocado Breakfast Burritos
- 52. Southwestern Tofu Scramble with Chickpea Tofu
- 53. Healthy Breakfast Casserole with Vegetables
- 54. Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad
- 55. Caramelized Onion Spinach+Feta Savory French Toast Casserole
- 56. Bean, Potato & Veggie Breakfast Hash
- 57. Sweet Potato Sausage Frittata
- 58. Cauliflower Mash
- 59. Butternut Squash and Apple Hash with Sausage
- 60. Guacamole and Egg Breakfast Bowl
- 61. Spinach, Feta, and Artichoke Breakfast Bake
- Final Thoughts on Health Breakfast Ideas
HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Puddings, Porridges, and Breakfast Bowls
1. Cardamom and Toasted Millet Breakfast Bowl
The first meal of the day is made exciting by the not-so-usual flavors in this breakfast bowl. The dish is on the savory-sweet side, with bursts of invigorating ginger. Just the right combo to start your day.
2. Peanut Butter Banana Chia Oatmeal
via Eating Bird Food
This high-fiber, high-protein breakfast will soon become your go-to dish in the morning. It takes just around 10 minutes to prepare. It's packed with nutritious goodness that will give you energy the whole morning.
3. Mango Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
This breakfast bowl refreshes you, especially in the summer months. It has just the right creaminess that makes this a light and refreshing dish, perfect to fuel your mornings.
4. Blueberries ‘n’ Cream Amaranth Porridge
via Naturally Ella
Healthy choices in a bowl, that's what this breakfast is. The technique is to soak the amaranth in water overnight and boil to a creamy consistency the next day. You'll have a tasty treat that will make this dish one of your breakfast staples.
5. Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
via Minimalist Baker
This breakfast bowl gives you a healthy dose of theobromine to keep your mental faculties functioning at their peak. It does not hurt that this breakfast tastes so good.
6. Pumpkin, Yogurt, Granola Parfait Breakfast
We’ve established the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So it's only fitting that the dish you choose to prepare has to be packed with nutrients that give you most of the daily required allowances. This delicious parfait offers beta-carotene for good eyesight, calcium for the bones, and probiotics for good digestion (see benefits of probiotics).
7. Banana, Peanut Butter, Chia Seed Pudding
Power up your breakfast with this superfood. This is so easy to prepare that even kids can have a go at making it for themselves.
8. Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
via The Almond Eater
A nourishing breakfast awaits you with this smoothie bowl. This is so filling that it's guaranteed to keep you energized through the entire morning.
9. Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
This smoothie bowl is densely packed in nutrients and minerals that are beneficial to good brain function. It boosts your focus, making you ready to face the daily grind with more energy.
10. Beet, Raspberry, and Vanilla Smoothie Bowl
via My New Roots
This bowl is one of the healthiest breakfast choices out there. The recipe calls for several of the most powerful blood builders in the plant kingdom.
11. Creamy Breakfast Polenta
via Iris and Honey
Polenta is an Italian pantry staple. It is made from ground yellow or white corn. It will probably be one of the best things to eat for breakfast because of the simplicity in its preparation and the right blend of flavors and texture that belie the healthy goodness it offers.
12. Risgrøt – Norwegian Porridge
via Pickled Plum
Enjoy a healthy breakfast treat with this Norwegian version of porridge. This risgrøt recipe is made healthier by substituting sugar with honey. And to those up for a gustatory adventure, feel free to use your favorite fruits and nuts as toppings for added flavor and crunch.
13. Roasted Rhubarb with Buckwheat Porridge
Here's a healthy breakfast option that will rejuvenate your senses with its tangy and refreshing flavor. This porridge can be eaten hot or cold. Add some apple slices on top for extra crunch.
14. Superfood Bircher Muesli
Muesli is an oat-based Swiss breakfast and is very easy to prepare. This recipe is named after the person who developed the method of soaking the oats overnight to achieve a creamier texture. You'll have one of those easy breakfast recipes the next morning by simply serving it topped with fresh fruits and nuts of choice.
15. Creamy Banana and Maca Buckwheat Porridge
via Oat So Delicious
Banana has a very good reputation as a superfruit that it has become a mainstay in the list of healthy breakfast foods. It contains essential minerals such folate, niacin, and potassium, which are all necessary for good health. This recipe is made even healthier with the addition of blueberries that are known to promote heart health and buckwheat groats that are beneficial for the control of blood sugar and high cholesterol.
HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Sandwiches, Toasts, Fruit Wraps, and Pancakes
16. Avocado Toast with Egg
The simplicity in preparing this breakfast belies the healthful goodness packed in it. It has the right amount of protein, carbs, and fiber to give you a healthy start for the day.
17. Lox Avocado Toast
Why not substitute your usual spread with creamy avocadoes? We love them so much because they are heart-healthy. Spread it on bread and top with slices of lox for a filling and delicious meal to fuel your morning.
18. Curried Tofu Salad Sandwich
via Veggie Inspired
If you are looking for a less than 300 calorie breakfast idea, this sandwich fits the bill. Another plus factor is the ease of preparation. Make a huge batch to have them on hand when the craving hits.
19. Greek Yogurt Pancakes
via Mama Loves Food
Are you looking for healthy breakfast recipes for kids? Include these pancakes in your menu. They are super healthy and fluffy. But the best part is that kids love them. They are filling and offer the energy you and the little ones need for the entire morning.
20. Buchujeon – Korean Garlic Chive Pancake
via Korean Bapsang
Put a twist to your regular breakfast pancake with this Korean version. Made with garlic chives, this savory breakfast option is packed with anti-oxidants that lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. You may dip your pancake in gochujang (Korean chili pepper paste) for spiciness that awakens your senses.
21. Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
via Choosing Chia
Let's see just how healthy this sandwich is. Is it gluten-free? Yes. Is it high in protein? Yes. Is it high in fiber? Does it have the nutrients that are essential for the proper functioning of the body? Yes and yes. It's perfect for brunch or breakfast on the go.
22. Sweet Potato Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
Despite its name, this sandwich can be included in your low-carb breakfast food list. Use a high-heat oil during cooking to yield a filling and tasty a.m. sandwich.
23. Fruity Rainbow Breakfast Wrap
Teach your kids to eat breakfast with this nutritious and colorful fruit wrap. It’s better, too, if you let them prepare this on their own. Make sure to assist the smaller kids in slicing the fruits.
24. Fruit Salad Tacos
via Turnip The Oven
While we’re on the topic of kid-approved healthy breakfasts, this taco is another keeper. Finely slice the fruits like you would a regular taco. It tastes great, and no one would complain that’s it is also rich in nutrients.
25. Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam and Peanut Butter Breakfast Toasts
via Aimee Mars
Savor the healthy goodness of a homemade jam on toast. You'll never skip another breakfast if the meal is this easy to prepare.
26. Crunchy Granola Apple-Peanut Butter Wrap
You can assemble this quick healthy breakfast in less than 5 minutes. The beauty of it is that there are no exact measurements for the ingredients. Make a batch for breakfast-on-the-go for those hectic mornings.
27. Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Here is a dish that qualifies to be in the Weight Watchers breakfast menu. This sandwich is bursting with fresh flavors while staying on the healthy side of morning meals.
HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS: Smoothies
28. Banana Breakfast Smoothie
This smoothie has the creamy texture just right. It's filling — quite a surprising feat since it's made from only four ingredients. What's more, there are no artificial ingredients.
29. Apple Ginger Spice Green Smoothie
If you love ginger, then this smoothie will be a mainstay in your new breakfast menu. Its spicy-sweet taste will awaken your senses. Its creamy texture makes for a truly satisfying and filling breakfast.
30. Strawberry Orange Sunrise Smoothie
via Garnish & Glaze
This smoothie is both filling and refreshing. It is loaded with vitamin C that boosts your immune system. It's the perfect breakfast on the go. You will no longer have an excuse for skipping your a.m. meal.
31. Carrot Cake Smoothie
via Build Your Bite
If you love carrot cake, this breakfast smoothie will be a quick favorite. The recipe calls for fresh carrots. They are loaded with beta-carotene and anti-oxidants, known to improve eyesight, boost immunity, and aid digestion.
32. Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
via Iowa Girl Eats
Blueberries are acknowledged to decrease one's risk of heart disease because of its phytonutrient content. This health benefit is combined with its yummy flavor to remind you of dessert in this breakfast smoothie. Your heart will thank you.
33. Mango Lime Smoothie
via Annie’s Noms
This smoothie will perk up your mornings with its tangy-sweet tropical flavor. The anti-oxidants in mangoes protect against certain cancers, while limes are a good source of vitamins and minerals that help improve the skin and encourage weight loss.
34. Power Smoothie (Blueberry, Banana, Oat)
This smoothie is packed with powerful nutrients that your body needs. It's also very filling that you don’t get hungry mid-morning.
35. Creamy Watermelon Honey Smoothie
Here is a heart-friendly breakfast treat during hot weather. It is blessedly refreshing and packed with nutrients that have anti-oxidant properties. This goes along well as an accompaniment to other healthy breakfast meals. The chia seeds are optional but also nice for extra texture.
36. 4-Ingredient Mango Green Smoothie
via Well Plated
Here is a superhealthy smoothie that even kids love. The ripe mangoes and bananas make it naturally sweet.
37. Coconut, Vanilla, and Matcha Smoothie
The flavors of matcha and coconut evenly balance each other in this super healthy breakfast smoothie. It’s so easy to prepare, too.
38. Spinach, Banana Protein Smoothie
This smoothie can be prepared in a few seconds and has absolutely no taste of spinach in it. It can also be made in large quantities and frozen, for you to enjoy when the cravings strike.
Breads, Pastries, and Other Baked Goods
39. Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Almond Breakfast Cookies
via Beaming Baker
Here is a tasty breakfast bursting with the healthy goodness of bananas and blueberries with the crunchiness of almonds. But that's not all — these breakfast cookies are gluten- and dairy-free, which make them an ideal mainstay fare on a healthy table. As an added goodness, it's easy to bake!
40. Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
You can have them for breakfast, for dessert, or as a snack. This healthy breakfast take on a classic recipe invites you to be adventurous in adding fruits, nuts, and grains for exciting flavors. Be sure to share with those you love.
41. Superfood Breakfast Cookies
via Wife Mama Foodie
This breakfast is ideal for those busy mornings. Packed with the nutritious benefits of fruits and nuts, these cookies are easy to prepare. Make a huge batch and freeze to keep handy for those days when you don’t feel like cooking.
42. Zucchini Banana Oat Bread
via The Wicker House
Add this bread to your repertoire of healthy breakfast choices that kids will enjoy. It's a great source of potassium, fiber, and healthy fats. But aside from this, it's really tasty. It will definitely get the stamp of approval from even the pickiest eater.
43. Coconut Sourdough Bread
Reap the positive health benefits of coconut with this flavorful bread. Use your favorite healthy spread and enjoy.
44. Lemon Matcha Light and Fluffy Muffins
Matcha powder has more than 130 times the anti-oxidants than in regular green tea. You're in for a very healthy treat with these breakfast muffins. They are light and not too sweet. They also perfectly complement any beverage.
45. Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
via Kim’s Cravings
Here is another perfect breakfast for busy days. What's more, these muffins are super filling due to the high fiber content, keeping you satisfied through the morning.
46. Cranberry Orange Scones
Cranberries are credited for lowering blood pressure and inhibiting the development of certain cancers, among its many health benefits. Wouldn’t it make you happy to know that this superfood is the star ingredient in this delicious breakfast?
47. Cherry Vanilla Ricotta Crostata
via Coley Cooks
Take delight in this hearty homemade pie. Although this calls for cherries, it is a versatile recipe. You can use whatever fruits are in season.
48. Egg Muffins
via Just A Taste
These egg muffins are perfect for breakfasts on the go. They are quick and easy to prepare. And the best part is that there are no rigid rules in the recipe on what toppings and fillings to use, so you can use your favorite veggie combos.
49. Make-Ahead Tofu Scramble and Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
This make-ahead breakfast has a creamy texture and the right mix of savory and sweet flavors. It's not only delicious but packed with the nutritious benefits of tofu and sweet potatoes.
50. Eggs Baked In Portobello Mushroom
via Healthy Recipes
Take a break from the usual pancake or smoothies breakfast with this savory dish. It is easy to assemble and you'll have a scrumptious meal ready in half an hour.
51. Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Avocado Breakfast Burritos
This make-ahead breakfast option can be prepared in bulk. When the craving hits, it's a simple matter of defrosting and reheating and a tasty and filling meal is available in minutes.
52. Southwestern Tofu Scramble with Chickpea Tofu
via Vegan Richa
Veggies from last night's dinner don’t have to go to waste with this scrumptious and healthy fare. The make-ahead chickpea tofu is the highlight of the dish. Serve with toast and avocado spread on the side for added healthful goodness.
53. Healthy Breakfast Casserole with Vegetables
Start your day with something scrumptious. This casserole will soon be a mainstay in your low carb breakfast food list for its flavor and the vitamins and nutrients in it. It is deliciously satisfying that even kids will not be able to resist a healthy breakfast when it's this tasty.
54. Loaded Low Fat Egg Salad
This version of a classic recipe comes fully loaded with vegetables. The extra crunch makes it an enticing morning meal. Serve it on a bed of greens or enjoy it with your favorite crackers.
55. Caramelized Onion Spinach+Feta Savory French Toast Casserole
via Little Spice Jar
This recipe for breakfast casserole can feed at least half a dozen people, or you can store it in single-portion sizes for a quick meal when you’re too busy to make something from scratch. Customize it by simply adding a layer of your protein of choice or extra veggies.
56. Bean, Potato & Veggie Breakfast Hash
Do you crave for something hearty and filling in the morning? The ingredients of this breakfast hash make it a nutrient-dense meal that keeps you fueled up until lunchtime.
57. Sweet Potato Sausage Frittata
Include this dish in your high protein breakfast ideas for weight loss. It does not take too much effort to prepare this low-carb frittata.
58. Cauliflower Mash
At less than 10 grams of net carbs per serving this meal should be on your low carb breakfast menu. The velvety texture is achieved by squeezing out all the water from the cauliflower. Mix it up with the other ingredients and you’ve got a velvety, satisfying meal.
59. Butternut Squash and Apple Hash with Sausage
Begin the day with this hearty dish that will give you the energy you need for the entire morning. Minus the sugar crash, of course.
60. Guacamole and Egg Breakfast Bowl
Let's deviate a little from the usual pancake and smoothies breakfast spreads. Here is a healthy and savory breakfast option made from avocados, spinach and eggs. It's packed with nutrition to keep your energy at its peak the whole morning. It looks like a salad but it can also become a mainstay on the breakfast table.
61. Spinach, Feta, and Artichoke Breakfast Bake
Casseroles are ideal breakfast fare because the method of preparation is so simple. And so with this dish, you can prepare the ingredients the night before and bake it the next day for a nutrient-dense meal. It's also versatile that you can add sausages or ham if you prefer it to be a less vegetarian version.
Final Thoughts on Health Breakfast Ideas
There you have it… Sixty-one healthy breakfast ideas that you can try in your kitchen to improve your health, give your energy a boost and grant you longevity.
And since you’ve now embarked on the exciting journey of developing good eating habits by not skipping breakfast, feel free to explore how to incorporate positive changes in other areas of your life.
To take that next step, check out this post to get more ideas on how to build other health habits in your life.