There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Dealing with negative people is a skill all by itself that the vast majority of us are forced to learn.
If you’re plagued by someone or a group of someones who are completely eroding your mental health and making life tricky, then today’s negative people quotes post is for you.
Life would be so much easier if everyone were a ray of sunshine, but sadly it often doesn’t work that way. Understanding the why’s of the difficult to deal with can be nearly as important as learning what to do with them.
Negative People Quotes Can Help Your Peace of Mind
Dealing with negative people takes some nuance, simply cutting out everyone who may or may not have good intentions can isolate you.
Simply accepting bad behavior can turn you into a doormat, and unfortunately, the really bad sorts are willing and able to take advantage of people whom they see as easy to exploit.
The solutions available to you depend on your personality type and what circumstances you’re in. In a professional context, as much as you may want to, it often backfires when you confront someone in a way that leads to an inflammatory exchange. However, assertiveness training can work wonders here.
In more personal situations, it’s entirely down to your own discretion. If a friendship or relationship has turned abusive then do not feel bad about cutting them loose, it is nearly never worth it to stay with this kind of person.
In most situations, the person you’re dealing with is not the devil incarnate. They are perhaps a few behaviors this person exhibits that either cause you pain or make life difficult. How you have this conversation and communicate depends entirely on the individual, but making them aware of what they’re doing to hurt you is never a bad idea.
We have an entire 7-step guide to dealing with negative people that is chock full of tips and handy information.
67 Negative People Quotes and Sayings
- “Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally.” – Kamand Kojouri
- “Anti-social psychopaths will suck the soul out of your body.” – Dr. Doug Mcguff
- “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
- “Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you!” – Auliq Ice
Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you!” – Auliq Ice
- There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. – W. Clement Stone
- “As you remove toxic people from your life, you free up space and emotional energy for positive, healthy relationships.” – John Mark Green
- “Buy a gift for a dog, and you'll be amazed at the way it will dance and swerve its tail, but if don't have anything to offer to it, it won't even recognize your arrival; such are the attributes of fake friends.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.” – Maya Angelou
- “Life is too short to spend in negativity. So I have made a conscious effort to not be where I don't want to be.” – Hugh Dillon
- “If somebody is looking for a bin to throw all their trash into, make sure it’s not in your mind.” – Dalai Lama
- “You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.” – Joel Osteen
- “Fire false friends as early as possible. Do it before they dig out the dream seeds you’ve planted! The earlier, the better; the quicker, the safer!” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” – Jim Rohn
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – JoyBell C.
- “Believing in negative thoughts is the single greatest obstruction to success.” – Charles F. Glassman
Believing in negative thoughts is the single greatest obstruction to success.” – Charles F. Glassman
- “People who try to bring you down every day aren’t important in your life, so you better treat their opinions as such.” – Terry Mark
- “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.” – Willie Nelson
- I think we manifest the very thing we put out. If you're putting out negativity, then you're going to retrieve that same sentiment. If you emanate joy, it comes back to you.” – Robin Wright
- “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.” – Chinonye J. Chidolue
- “If you feel negative about yourself, you will automatically feel negative about others.” – Osho
- “A lot of people who have experienced trauma at the hands of people they’ve trusted take responsibility, and that is what’s toxic.” – Hannah Gadsby
- “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions.” – Will Smith
- “Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.” – Lucille Ball
- “Don’t let Negative and Toxic people rent space in your head.Raise the rent and kick them out.” – Zig Ziglar
- “My encouragement: delete the energy vampires from your life, clean out all complexity, build a team around you that frees you to fly, remove anything toxic, and cherish simplicity. Because that’s where genius lives.” – Robin S. Sharma
- “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it.” – Shahida Arabi
When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it.” – Shahida Arabi
- “Negative things have a way of their own: they spread more easily, faster, quicker, because the whole of humanity lives in negativity.” – Osho
- “Stack all the rocks you want, but if you don’t let go of the toxic people and behaviors in your life, nothing will change.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Be patient with the negative people of the world. Take a moment to think how they are helping you clarify your own thinking and firming your own resolve. Then, headslap them out of your way.” – Deacon Jones
- “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone.” – Robin Williams
- “There’s folks you just don’t need. You’re better off without ‘em. Your life is just a little better because they ain’t in it.” – William Gay
- “I don’t think evil people or negative people are inherently interesting all the time. People who are good people getting better at being themselves – to me, that’s something that’s really interesting to watch.” – Josh Radnor
- “No one can create negativity or stress within you. Only you can do that by virtue of how you process your world.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Toxic relationships are like a good pasta that has been overcooked.” – Asa Don Brown
- “Don’t confuse “familiar” with “acceptable”. Toxic relationships can fool you like that.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Never let anything come in between you and your Passion. Let negative people and backstabbers be the reason you put wood into your Fire and Motivate you to reach Above and Beyond.” – Arsi Nami
- “When you have a lot of stress and negativity around you, when you cut that away, you cleanse.” – Lil Jon
- “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
- “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Accentuate the positive / Eliminate the negative.” – Hayley Williams
- “Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” – Shirley MacLaine
- “Real love moves freely in both directions. Don’t waste your time on anything else.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “What is a good man but a bad man's teacher? What is a bad man but a good man's job? If you don't understand this, you will get lost, no matter how clever you are. It is the great secret.” – Lao Tzu
- “Negativity is the enemy of creativity.” – David Lynch
- “The idea is quite simple, stay a light year away from people who make you feel less about yourself.” – Mohith Agadi
- “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.” – John Mark Green
- “If you attach to the negative behavior of others it brings you down to their level.” – Guru Singh
- “There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone
- “It is always ridiculous to imagine yourself superior to other people. Still, lots of people do.” – Donna Lynn Hess
- “I found peace of mind when I walked away from small fights not worth fighting. I stopped fighting for people who gossiped about me. I stopped fighting for those who didn't respect me. I quit worrying about those who wouldn't value me for being me.” – Dana Arcuri
- “The greatest danger in life is not taking chances. There are so many negative people wanting to grind you down, but you can't let them. If people say you are mad, you know you're on the right track.” – Brian Blessed
- “When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray.” – Rumi
- “The less you respond to negative people, the more powerful your life will become.” – Robert E. Baine, Jr.
- “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times you may have to step outside yourself, to see yourself, so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” – Angel Moreira
- “I find the positive in the negative all the time. Any time you give something power, it wins, and it can continuously happen, so I just let negative people know they have no place in my life. They have no place around my children.” – Monica Denise Brown
I find the positive in the negative all the time. Any time you give something power, it wins, and it can continuously happen, so I just let negative people know they have no place in my life. They have no place around my children.” – Monica Denise Brown
- “Yes, the people around us can be insensitive, narcissistic, toxic, and sometimes even abusive, but it is up to us to take that energy on or let it flow through us. No one is responsible for taking away our happiness but us.” – Aletheia Luna
- “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers
- “Having the strength to tune out negativity and remain focused on what I want gives me the will and confidence to achieve my goals.” – Gisele Bundchen
- “Pay no attention to toxic words. What people say is often a reflection of themselves, not you.” – Christian Baloga
- “No matter how good you are, someone is always going to be against you. But never let them be the limit of your success.” – Terry Mark
- “Don't ever let someone tell you the value you don't have, in order to be in someone's life. That is often the value they feel you have, not that person.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “Don't resurrect relationships with negative people off of good memories. You will only remind yourself why they became your past in the first place.” – Keshia Chante
- “Sometimes there are things in life that aren’t meant to stay. Sometimes change may not be what we want. Sometimes change is what we need.” – Don Bolena Jr.
- “Not everyone is so positive to see positives in others. It's not everyone's cup of tea.” – Shabira Banu
- “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
- “Remember…Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
Final Thoughts on Negative People Quotes
Dealing with troublesome individuals is a skill everyone is going to have to spend some time developing – whether we want it or not. We hope these negative people quotes have given you some food for thought on how to handle the ones in your life.
For more inspirational posts like this, check out these articles:
- 40 Small Habits That Positively Change Your Life
- 53 Keep Going Quotes to Get You Past Personal Obstacles
- 29 Chopra Quotes on Life, Love, and Happiness
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.