5 Best Walking Shoes for Men (Our 2018 Review)
At a Glance: Our Picks for the Best Walking Shoes for Men
A lot of men do way more walking than they realize. And although walking is great, we all have a responsibility to ensure that we optimize our health and comfort levels while we get around.
Shoes for walking and running are often designed quite differently. A shoe that may be perfect for running will be uncomfortable and may even give you listers and sores if you walk extensively.
One crucial thing to do, if you walk a lot, is to get an excellent pair of walking shoes.
But to select a pair of men's walking shoes that is the best fit for you, there are some things that you need to know about choosing the best walking shoes for men.
Our Picks for the Best Walking Shoes for Men
Don't have time to read the entire review? Then check out our picks for each of the five major categories...
|Merrell Men's Helixer Distort Walking Shoe||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
|Skechers Performance Men's Go Walk 3 Slip-On Walking Shoe||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
|New Balance Men's MW928S Leather/Mesh Walking Shoe||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
|Asics Men's GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
|New Balance Men's MW759 Country Walking Shoe||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
Why buy walking shoes?
Yes, you went to the store and got a pair of sneakers to wear while walking. But are they actually walking shoes?
If they’re not, then it defeats the purpose of buying shoes for walking. There are many differences between walking shoes and everyday sneakers. A good pair of walking shoes may be able to prevent your feet from getting blisters, calluses, and even corns. Additionally, you need walking shoes so you can decrease the impact and stress on your feet as it regularly makes contact with the ground.
Walking shoes are geared at preventing injury to your feet as well as the rest of your body. If they don’t adequately support your feet while you walk, it means that the remainder of your body has to overcompensate for this. As a result, you may end up with backaches, hip pains and damage to your heels, ankles and even your knees.
How to choose the best men's walking shoes
The design of a pair of sneakers is often more than a fashion statement, and when you are purchasing a pair of walking shoes, there are some characteristics in which you should pay close attention.
Here are some of the things you should look for:
Good walking shoes should be relatively lightweight.
Walking in heavy shoes can put unnecessary stress and strain on your feet. If you are doing a whole lot of walking, heavy shoes may tire your feet much more quickly. The last thing you want is a pair of walking shoes that are way too heavy for you. Before you purchase those walking shoes, make sure you are comfortable with their weight.
Excellent shock absorption is a critical quality for walking shoes.
Some shoes will absorb more shock than others. If you are in a store, you may want to jump up and down in those new shoes to see how it feels when you land on the floor. The more shock the shoes absorb, the better it will be for walking.
Always think about the shape of your feet when selecting a pair of walking shoes.
Even though you may wear a size 9, your feet may have an entirely different shape from another who wears the same size. If your shoes are too narrow, too wide, too long or too short, it will be uncomfortable to walk in. Don’t forget about the shape of your sole. Select walking shoes that are suited to your arch type whether it is flat, neutral-arched or high arched.
Consider the flexibility and support of the shoes.
Your walking shoe should bend quite easily to mimic the flexibility of your feet while you walk and you should be able to feel some resistance as you twist the shoe. You also want to make sure that the shoes are cushioned where it matters the most. Rather than having a lot of cushioning at the heel, look for it under the ball of the foot.
Other tips you may need regarding men's walking shoes:
In addition to those characteristics, there are other things you need to know.
- Wear socks while fitting your shoes
- Shop for shoes later in the day when your feet are likely to be swollen because you have been walking
- Try both shoes since one of your feet may be larger than the other
- Walk in the shoes before you buy them
- Wear your new shoes around the house for a few days to ensure that they fit well
Five Best Products
The Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Slip-on Walking Shoe is available for purchase in 9 different colors. They are also available in a wide variety of sizes including wide width options. The traction on these shoes is superb because they have rubber soles and the heel measures just about 1.5 inches.
The fact that they import these shoes does not negatively impact the comfort level of these shoes, rather, the comfort level of these shoes is very noteworthy. Other great features about these shoes include the memory foam cushioned heel and a goga mat insole.
Using materials like these help to ensure that the shoes remain lightweight and comfortable to walk in. In addition to these features, the shoe is made of very breathable fabric so they can easily aerate your feet while wearing them.
- Because of the build quality of the shoes, they are extremely comfortable when worn.
- As is expected, these shoes are perfect for walking or other forms of physical activity because they are very lightweight.
- The shoes get more comfortable with each wear because of the memory foam cushioning in the heel.
- Because of the design of the shoes, they can be comfortably worn with or without socks.
- There are no laces so you can put the shoes on or take them off with only a tiny bit of effort.
- The shoe may not be true to size so you may have to order a different size from what you usually wear.
- The shoe does not have any laces so it may not be secure enough for walking on unpaved areas.
The New Balance Men’s walking shoe MW759 is a remarkable walking shoe that is made of synthetic materials. It features a lace-up design with lace loops of a contrasting color and it has a protective overlay at the toe region of the shoe. These shoes are available in 2 different color palettes so you can select the colors that you prefer.
Of course, these shoes offer plenty of comforts as you move in them due to their well thought out design and build. One fantastic feature that stands out with these shoes is their sturdiness. The sturdiness is a vital quality in a walking shoe as you want shoes that are flexible but sturdy enough to offer great support while you walk.
- The shoes should be very comfortable when worn providing that you have your perfect fit.
- These shoes are great for walking on concrete floors as they provide a lot of shock absorbance.
- You can easily remove the insoles for washing or replacement.
- There is excellent traction when the ground is dry.
- There is adequate cushioning inside the shoes for support and comfort.
- They are very reasonably priced based on the features of the shoes.
- These shoes are extremely sturdy making them great walking shoes.
- These shoes may fit a bit small and are more suited for narrow feet so you may have to order them in a larger size than normal.
- If it gets wet, there is very little traction from the base of the shoes.
Available in a variety of sizes, this white New Balance Men’s MW 928S Leather/Mesh Walking Shoe is odor-resistant and made of leather. The sole is made of rubber which gives it good traction and the shoe is very breathable because of the mesh fabric in the upper region. It has great cushioning and a foam insert for comfort.
With adequate cushioning and support, you will be able to land much more softly on the ground with each step that you take. The New Balance Men’s MW 928S is particularly great for wide feet and has a remarkable amount of space in the toe box.
These two features really set these walking shoes apart from all the others, and if you have really wide feet, you may appreciate these walking shoes a lot.
- The pair of shoes has a lot of space in the toe box making it very desirable for persons with wide feet.
- Unwanted odors will not be trapped inside the shoes because they are odor-resistant.
- These shoes provide superb support while walking, so you do not have to worry about getting injured very easily.
- There is adequate cushioning in the sole of the shoes to enhance shock absorption as you walk.
- The shoes are true to size, so you do not have to order a size up or down.
- Because the sole of the shoes is made of rubber, there is a good amount of traction as you move around.
- These shoes may fit a bit small and are more suited for narrow feet so you may have to order them in a larger size than normal.
- The mesh of the shoes may become dirty very quickly.
The Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe is specially designed for men who do a lot of walking. These shoes are available in 2 different colors and a wide variety of sizes. The walking shoes are made of synthetic material and have a rubber sole for good traction. With breathable mesh fabric at the top of the shoes, the design promotes airflow to your feet as you walk.
In addition to these great features, the padded tongue and collar inside the shoes assist in enhancing the comfort level as you walk around. Moreover, the shoes are extremely lightweight and are especially suited for cross training because it is very easy to move around in them.
Being lightweight is actually one of the best features of this shoe because they are actually much more lightweight than other shoes of comparable build quality and similar function.
- These shoes are very easy on the feet because they are remarkably lightweight.
- Because the shoes are very light, you will be able to move around in them pretty easily.
- The rubber sole of the shoes provides a lot of traction as you walk around.
- Because the shoes offer adequate support, you do not need to worry about injuries relating to wearing shoes of inferior quality.
- The insoles are removable so they can be replaced by new ones very easily or cleaned and returned to the shoe.
- These shoes may not be very suitable for men who have very wide feet because they may run a bit narrow.
- The padding in the insole of the shoes may not be supportive for all arch-types so some persons may find the shoes uncomfortable.
With a fit that is true to size, the Merrell Men’s Blaze Walking Shoe/Boot is an exquisite shoe for any male to own. It is sold in a very rich Navy/Moss and Black?silver options and is available in a vast selection of sizes. If you love to wear leather shoes, you will love this walking shoe which is made of leather/mesh hybrid. This gives the firmness of the leather in the shoe, without all the weight.
Of course this entire shoe is waterproofed to keep your feet snug and dry, regardless of the terrain you are walking on.
The shoe also has a mesh lining which enables breathability which is a very desirable feature in a walking shoe. These imported shoes also boast EVA removable insoles and midsoles. Overall, these shoes provide exceptional comfort and are extremely sturdy.
In addition to this, their remarkably durable build and high-quality composition enable them to be excellent for use on unpaved walking trails.
- Even if you are walking on unpaved areas, these shoes will remain very comfortable and sturdy while you are walking.
- These shoes boast outstanding comfort despite the type of activity that you carry out while wearing them. It is easy to wear them all day.
- The cushioning in these shoes is amazing, so they absorb shock very well.
- Because the shoes are very sturdy, they make walking a very pleasurable activity.
- The rubber sole of the shoes provides incredible traction and helps to prevent slips and skids while walking.
- Because the insole can be removed easily, you will be able to keep it clean with little effort or change them as you so desire.
- The shoes run a little narrow, so you need to be careful when purchasing them if you have very wide feet.
My Personal Recommendation
Some men may find it a bit difficult to find a pair of walking shoes that check every item on their list. Maybe your list is not very realistic; perhaps you have not taken into account the most important features of walking shoes for men so or maybe you are searching for your your shoes in all the wrong places.
Remember that you need to look for comfortable walking shoes that are a perfect fit for your feet. Make sure that they are not too heavy for you to move around in, and they have a lot of cushion and support to minimize your chances of injury while you move around in them.
From the top 5 walking shoes that I have mentioned, my favorite is the Merrell Men's Helixer Distort Walking Shoe.
Why? This walking shoe offers a tremendous amount of comfort which I value very highly while striking a balance with being sturdy enough so you can wear them over various types of terrain.
Although the Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Slip-on Walking Shoe seems to be the most comfortable, for me, durability is also a significant factor in selecting my walking shoe and it does come down to personal preference.
If you have wide feet, your best option may be the New Balance Men's MW928S Leather/Mesh Walking Shoe, and if you are into cross training, you may want to get the Asics Men's GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe.
Remember, at the end of the day, you need to make your selection based on your feet and your needs. Keep walking!
Like this post on Men's walking shoes?
Then share the below image on your favorite social media website (like Pinterest)!