There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Everyone instinctively roots for the champion, but why?
It’s all about mindset because mindset begets everything else, if your internal attitudes, thoughts, and beliefs align correctly, you’ll find yourself capable of things you couldn’t imagine.
Why do we all root for the champion? What is it about them that we like? In today’s post, we’ll be exploring just this and providing you with some stellar champion quotes to develop a winning mindset.
Here’s an example from history, that in my opinion, shows the true essence of a champion's mindset:
During the Polynesian War (a conflict in Ancient Greece that saw the mighty city-states of Athens and Sparta duking it out).
The Athenians captured a Spartan soldier, the Spartans were known for carrying swords that were a little bit on the small side. The Athenians put the Spartan in a cell and taunted him relentlessly for some time, making jokes about the size of Spartan swords.
The Spartan listened to all this, smirked, and told the Athenians: “The blade is long enough to pierce your heart.”
Stories about champions are universal and ancient, full of examples both real and mythological; Spartacus and the gladiator legions that almost toppled Rome, Joan of Arc and her military prowess, and Hercules and the story of his Labours.
No matter which culture you turn to, there will be examples of a champion struggling against great odds. In many cases, the story of the champion is that of an average person rising to greatness through sheer hard work or despite extremely challenging circumstances.
This is why we like the champion so much, they’re just like us, but they’ve managed to get close to their potential. These inspiring stories give us a glimpse into what we are capable of if we push ourselves.
However, listening to “Eye of the Tiger” for an hour won’t turn you into a champion. You need a mental framework that pushes you to new levels every day.
How do you construct this mental framework? Your thoughts, beliefs, ideas, and attitudes are all shaped by the media and information your mind consumes. This is why champion quotes can help you, as words can shape our mental outlook profoundly.
There aren’t enough good things that can be said about having a constructive mindset; a growth mindset, for example, can be the key to unlocking your potential. If you believe that you can always do better, then you’ll find yourself getting better.
Having a source of inspiring quotes to turn to can be a surprising source of strength.
- “The best and fastest way to learn a sport is to watch and imitate a champion.” – Jean-Claude Killy
- “A true champion is someone who wants to make a difference, who never gives up, and who gives everything she has no matter what the circumstances are. A true champion works hard and never loses sight of her dreams.” – Dot Richardson
- “Champions Keep Playing Until They Get It Right.” – Billie Jean King
- “Don’t Be Sorry. Be Better.” – Kratos
- “The world is starving for new ideas and great leaders who will champion those ideas.” – Lisa Su
The world is starving for new ideas and great leaders who will champion those ideas.” – Lisa Su
- “But whoso is heroic must find crises to try his edge. Human virtue demands her champions and martyrs, and the trial of persecution always proceeds”.- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “A champion is defined by the adversity he overcomes.” – Anderson Silva
- “A Smile Better Suits A Hero.” – Haurchefant
- “There are 7 billion people in the world, but there’s only one heavyweight champion of the world, and that’s me.” -Tyson Fury
- “There are 7 billion people in the world, but there’s only one heavyweight champion of the world, and that’s me.” – Tyson Fury
- “It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.” – Seneca
- “Those Who Run From Death Stood Still In Life.” – Kindred
- “No excuses. Play like a champion”. – Kelley O’Hara
- “The champion makes his own luck.” – Earl Blaik
- “You’re never a loser until you quite trying.” – Mike Ditka
- “Champions are champions not because they do anything extraordinary but because they do the ordinary things better than anyone else.” – Chuck Noll
- “Champions are not born. They work for it.” – Gene Simmons
- “Seek Strength. The Rest Will Follow.” – Vendrick
- “The champion uses the power of his pride to great advantage.” – D. DeVenzio
The champion uses the power of his pride to great advantage.” – D. DeVenzio
- “I'm not afraid of anyone, but sometimes I'm afraid of myself. The mental part is very important.” – Justine Henin
- “Commitment separates those who live their dreams from those who live their lives regretting the opportunities they have squandered.” – Bill Russell
- “Steel Wins Weapons. Gold Wins Wars.” – Davion
- “The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” – John Madden
- “I'll let the racket do the talking.” – John McEnroe
- “If you do the bare minimum, expect bare minimum results. You want to be great, work to be great. Nothing just happens.” – J.J. Watt
- “You have to become a champion in getting quickly out of negative situations, because life will not spare you of them.” – Natașa Alina Culea
- “If you are going to be a champion, you must be willing to pay a greater price.” – Bud Wilkinson
- “Nothing is more inspiring than a person with seemingly mediocre talent rising against the odds to become a champion by way of hard work, effort, and perseverance toward their goals.” – Zig Ziglar
- “For whatever it’s worth, never fall a victim of the struggle. And when it so happens remain a soldier and a champion.” – DON SANTO
- “Hard work is always hard work, for young gymnasts and old gymnasts. Whoever can handle this will be a champion.” – Svetlana Boginskaya
- “Champions are not the ones who always win races – champions are the ones who get out there and try. And try harder the next time. And even harder the next time. ‘Champion’ is a state of mind. They are devoted. They compete to best themselves as much if not more than they compete to best others. Champions are not just athletes.” – Simon Sinek
- “I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.” – Mia Hamm
- “We're scared of losing. That's why we win. We know what it's like to lose and we hate it. We enjoy being champions too much.” – Bob Bourne
We're scared of losing. That's why we win. We know what it's like to lose and we hate it. We enjoy being champions too much.” – Bob Bourne
- “The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.” – Pele
- “A true champion can adapt to anything.” – Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
- “To be a champion, compete; to be a great champion, compete with the best; but to be the greatest champion, compete with yourself.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
- “I truly believe that it’s all of the hard times that make you step up to the next level, and that’s what makes you a champion.” – Caroline Buchanan
- “A champion is someone who does not settle for that day's practice, that day's competition, that day's performance. They are always striving to be better. They don't live in the past.” –Briana Scurry
- “Carry yourself like a champion now so when you get there, it’s not a surprise.” – David Fizdale
- “For sportsmen or women who want to be champions, the mind can be as important, if not more important, than any other part of the body.” – Gary Neville
- “Once you start believing in yourself, anything is possible.” – Martina Navratilova
- “The greatest thing about tomorrow is I will be better than I am today.” – Tiger Woods
- “There’s a difference in thinking you are a champion and knowing that you are.” – Matthew McConaughey
- “Champions play as they practice. Create a consistency of excellence in all your habits.” – Mike Krzyzewski
- “Winning – that’s the most important to me. It’s as simple as that.” – Cristiano Ronaldo
- “Never stop, never give up, never stop giving yourself the self-confidence you need to be a champion.” – Diego Sanchez
Never stop, never give up, never stop giving yourself the self-confidence you need to be a champion.” – Diego Sanchez
- “I don't care now if I ever win a match in my life again. Whatever I do in my life, wherever I go, I'm going to be always Wimbledon champion.” – Goran Ivanisevic
- “Champions understand that finishing strong in practice, leads to finishing strong in application. You play the way you practice.” – Atlas Rowe
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there. – Theodore Roosevelt
- “I remember as a kid, I was improvising and making little trophies out of different materials and going in front of the mirror, lifting the trophies and saying ‘Nole was the champion! “' – Novak Djokovic
- “Losing is losing, there aren’t different degrees of losing. You either win a championship or you’re sh**. It’s very black & white to me.” – Kobe Bryant
- “The heart of a champion is not a light switch that goes on and off when someone’s watching. It’s like a sun that always burns.” – Said Manoj
- “Heart in champions has to do with the depth of our motivation and how well your mind and body react to pressure – that is, being able to do what you do best under maximum pain and stress.” – Bill Russell
- “Part of being a champ is acting like a champ. You have to learn how to win and not run away when you lose.” – Nancy Kerrigan
- You have to believe in yourself when no one else does — that makes you a winner right there. – Venus Williams
- “To become a champion, fight one more round.” – James Corbitt
- “We like to think of our champions and idols as superheroes who were born different from us. We don’t like to think of them as relatively ordinary people who made themselves extraordinary.” – Carol Dweck
- “You become a champion by fighting one more round. When things are tough, you fight one more round.” – James J. Corbett
- “Do nothing which is of no use.” – Miyamoto Musashi
- “The heart of a champion beats to a different drum.” – John Di Lemme
- “Coffee, It's the life blood that fuels the dreams of champions!” – Mike Ditka
Coffee, It's the life blood that fuels the dreams of champions!” – Mike Ditka
- “Mental strength is what separates champions from near champions.” – Rafael
- “Champions don’t show up to get everything they want; they show up to give everything they have.”. – Alexander den Heiner
- “It's not where you start but where you finish.” – April Heinrichs
- “As a champion, you will have the opportunity to see what God sees and your view of this race will become clearer to you.” – Dr. Beverly Crocket
- “When my body gets tired, my mind says ‘This is where winners are made.’ When my mind gets tired, my heart says, ‘This is where Champions are made.” – Baylor Barber
- “If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” – Bruce Lee
- “I need to remain humble, stay disciplined and keep training. That’s how I will continue to be a champion.” – Andy Ruiz Jr.
- “Zeal will do more than knowledge.” – William Hazlitt
- “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins, but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams
- “The real champions in life are so humble and gracious. They just continue doing what they do without all the posturing.” – Denis Waitley
- “The moment you feel like quitting is the time you need to keep on going. Persistence fuels genius. And grit creates champions.” – Robin Sharma
- “A true champion wasn’t born, but trained.” – Annakit
- “I don’t count my sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting. That is when I start counting, because then it really counts. That’s what makes you a champion.” – Muhammad Ali
- “Don't go to the grave with life unused.” – Bobby Bowden
That brings us to the end of our champion quotes compendium, we hope these have given you some fuel to forge yourself into the contender you were meant to be.
One great truth about becoming a champion is that they’re not born, they’re made, and it takes training and time to become one.
For more quotes and resources check out these articles:
- 27 Habits to Develop the Growth Mindset in Your Life
- 95 Self Discipline Quotes to Build Mental Toughness
- 63 Self Confidence Quotes to Help You Conquer ANY Challenge
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.