61 Conversation Starters for Texting to Spark a Connection
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Imagine this for a second…
You found someone that you’re interested in.
You want to get to know this person, but you don't know what to talk about.
We've all been there.
Fortunately, one quick strategy that can help is to try to a few conversation starters by text that can spark that connection.
In this article, we will give you 61 texting conversation starters that will keep someone engaged and wanting to reply to the messages that you send them!
But first, let’s start with a quick definition…
What You Will Learn
What is a Conversation Starter?
A conversation starter is an open-ended question that will not end up leaving you with a yes or no answer. These questions are meant to be thought-provoking and insightful on the individual that you are trying to get to know.
For example, if you ask someone how their day was, you may get a simple response of “good” or “bad”.
However, if you ask someone “what was the highlight of your day?” you may end up provoking a question that requires a longer answer and thus a conversation can begin to engage.
People love to talk about their interests and these questions are a great way to get someone to open up to you with little effort.
So let’s dive into the specific questions you can ask while texting.
61 Conversation Starters for Texting
1. What is something that everyone likes that you don't find popular?
2. What was a project that you worked really hard on?
3. What things were you really into as a kid?
4. What is a really annoying trait that someone can have that you don't like?
5. What is one thing that you cannot leave the house without?
6. Was there ever a time you were stuck on an awkward date with someone?
7. What was the best vacation spot you have ever visited?
8. …what was the word vacation spot you have ever visited?
9. What is your guilty pleasure?
10. What trends pique your interest now that you think more people should follow?
11. What's an irrational fear that you have?
12. What is one thing that you're really good at?
13. What's your favorite TV show?
14. What cartoons were your favorite whenever you were growing up?
15. What is your favorite video game of all time?
16. What is something that you were completely obsessed with right now?
17. What places around the world have you never been to but want to visit?
18. What is your hidden talent that you haven't shared with anyone?
19. Have you ever meditated before?
20. What app do you use the most on your phone?
21. What is your opinion of social media?
22. What is your favorite kind of food?
23. How did you overcome a big challenge or fear in your life?
24. What are some deal breakers in a relationship that you don't want?
25. How much of your bucket list have you completed?
26. What is something that is popular that you don't think should be popular at all?
27. What is your driving passion in life?
28. In a perfect world, what profession would you work in?
29. What is your favorite Netflix show?
30. What was the best day of your life?
31. What is your favorite time of day?
32. Do you drink coffee or tea?
33. What is something that you're not really good at?
34. What is your favorite scent?
35. Do you like any comedians and if so which ones?
36. Are you a spiritual person?
37. What is your astrology sign?
38. What did you study in college?
39. What are you going to do this weekend?
40. What is your favorite kind of music?
41. If you could do anything in the world right now what would it be?
42. What is your favorite season of the year?
43. What have you learned from the COVID-19 pandemic since we've all been indoors for most of the year?
44. Who is your best friend and what is their most admirable quality?
45. If you could pick up any hobby right now and master it what would it be?
46. Do you surf the internet often and if you do what do you like to read up on or watch?
47. Have you ever tried making a YouTube channel before?
48. What was your favorite moment from high school?
49. How would you describe yourself with only one word?
50. What is your favorite part about being in a relationship?
51. What are some of the most important aspects of a relationship that you are looking for?
52. If you could go on a first date anywhere, where would it be?
53. Do you use dating apps and if so what was your worst experience with them?
54. How would you like to spend your free time in a relationship if you were in one?
55. What did you study whenever you were in school?
56. What do you like better: cats or dogs? Or both?
57. Are there any special quotes out there that have a lot of meaning to you?
58. Do you have a mentor or someone who has inspired you to become a better person?
59. What places in the U.S have you visited?
60. What is the worst pickup line you've ever had said to you before?
61. What does being successful mean to you as an individual?
Final Thoughts on Texting Conversation Starters
People have more options when it comes to dating nowadays than ever before. Simply being a nice person with no personality will not work when it comes to standing out.
Fortunately, these questions are a great way to learn the aspects of the art of conversation. Being a good question asker and a listener is a great way to win your future partner over.And if you want to see more great conversation starters, then be sure to check out our post on fun hypothetical questions you can ask someone.