There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
What does it mean to have hope—to have faith, to believe, and to look forward to something?
Hope is a simple word, but it can make a world of difference. When everything else fails, it can be the anchor that helps you hold on and push through, rather than letting go and giving up. It is the force that binds your dreams and aspirations to your willpower and strength.
In this article, we share with you 53 hope quotes that can help you get you through difficult times. We’ve divided them into four categories, reflecting the different stages of pursuing success and chasing your dreams.
First up, we have inspirational quotes about hope and faith. There is quite a difference between these two mentalities. While “hope” is an optimistic attitude towards something we expect, “faith” is a feeling of confidence or trust in something that we believe in. Regardless, the two go hand-in-hand, regardless of the challenges you are facing.
Quotes About Hope and Faith
- “Hope is a renewable option: If you run out of it at the end of the day, you get to start over in the morning.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.” – Leonard Cohen
- “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” – Michelle Obama
- “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering ‘it will be happier’…” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don’t give up.” – Anne Lamott
- “The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Love without hope will not survive, love without faith changes nothing. Love gives the power to hope and faith.” – Toba Beta
- “None of us knows what might happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have faith.” – Paulo Coelho
- “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – William Faulkner
- “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” – Laini Taylor
- “I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.” – Dalai Lama
- “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming.” – Pablo Neruda
- “Hope has a cost. Hope is not comfortable or easy. Hope requires personal risk. It is not about the right attitude. Hope is not about peace of mind. Hope is action. Hope is doing something. The more futile, the more useless, the more irrelevant and incomprehensible an act of rebellion is, the vaster and more potent hope becomes.” – Chris Hedges
- “The reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” – J.M. Barrie
The reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” – J.M. Barrie
It’s not easy to have hope and faith all the time, especially for those who are feeling lost and confused. There is always a fine line between holding on and giving up, particularly when you have already exhausted yourself by accomplishing things that are hard to achieve.
But that doesn’t mean you should stop. While it is sometimes okay to quit, giving up is not an option if you are really determined to achieve your goal. Failures just make you stronger.
Speaking of strength, our next set of quotes is about hope and how it makes us bolder, tougher, and unyielding.
Quotes About Hope and Strength
- “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller
- “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
- “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “There is a saying in Tibetan, “Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.” No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.” – Dalai Lama
- ”In fact, hope is best gained after defeat and failure, because then inner strength and toughness is produced.” – Fritz Knapp
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “It is because of hope that you suffer. It is through hope that you’ll change things.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “I have tried to keep on with my striving because this is the only hope I have of ever achieving anything worthwhile and lasting.” – Arthur Ashe
- “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” – Barack Obama
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” – Barack Obama
- “Keep going. Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “As long as we have hope, we have direction, the energy to move, and the map to move by.” – Chinese Proverb
Hope is not effective if you don’t have the courage to back it up with strength. To be able to overcome hardships and reach your goals, you have to be physically, mentally, and emotionally strong. You have to prepare yourself for your battles so that you can come out of them a winner.
You must be brave enough to endure the pain and suffering these challenges will bring, and also have the fortitude to boost your morale with hope and optimism.
Finally, when you have cultivated enough faith, strong, and hope, you will be ready to reach your dreams and shine bright like a star.
Quotes About Hope and Dreams
- “Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality.” – Jonas Salk
- “Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” – Stephen King
- “You are not here merely to make a living, you are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, and sings the tunes without the words, and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, and sings the tunes without the words, and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
- “Hope is not a dream but a way of making dreams become reality.” – Leon Joseph Suenens
- “A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “A lot of people have their big dreams and get knocked down and don’t have things go their way. And you never give up hope, and you really just hold on to it. Hard work and perseverance. You just keep getting up and getting up, and then you get that breakthrough.” – Robert Kraft
- “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” – Shel Silverstein
- “It’s always something, to know you’ve done the most you could. But, don’t leave off hoping, or it’s of no use doing anything. Hope, hope to the last.” – Charles Dickens
- “But I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough can you see the stars.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.” – Pope John XXIII
When you dream big, you don’t easily give up that dream. Along with perseverance and hard work, success is the product of hope and faith. Wherever you are right now in achieving your goals and aspirations, don’t give up.
Last but definitely not least, let’s turn to some words of encouragement for you about hope and how it relates to love and life.
Quotes About Hope, Love, and Life
- “In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
- “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” – Tom Bodett
- “Love is a springtime plant that perfumes everything with its hope, even the ruins to which it clings.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “We swallowed the chaos because we knew we didn’t want to be ordinary.” – Robert M. Drake
- “It's amazing how a little tomorrow can make up for a whole lot of yesterday.” – John Guare, Landscape of the Body
- “I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward.” – Nelson Mandela
I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings.” – Elie Wiesel
- “Hope is one of the principal springs that keep mankind in motion.” – Thomas Fuller
- “Courage is like love; it must have hope for nourishment.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. Where there’s life, there’s hope.” – Stephen Hawking
- “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
- “Your faith in yourself is all you will ever have. Don’t let anyone take it away from you, ever.” – Holly Marie Combs
Final Thoughts on Hope Quotes
As mentioned earlier, sometimes it’s okay to quit. Quitting is not a sign of weakness or failure, and there are some things in this world that we simply need to let go of. But if the thing you are struggling with is truly important to you, you will surely find a way to persevere.
Life may be tough, but you’ve got to be tougher. We all have different stories to tell, but the one thing that connects us is our ability to look forward to the things that we desire. Believe in yourself and in what you can do—stand your ground and never lose hope.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 108 Never Give Up Quotes for When Life Gets Hard (2023)
- 103 Quotes About Having Strength During Hard Times (2023 Update)
- 173 Uplifting Quotes for Difficult Times in Your Life
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..