108 Never Give Up Quotes for When Life Gets Hard (2021)
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Are you about to throw in the towel?
Sometimes, circumstances in our life make us feel that despite all the hard work we're doing, we’ve got nothing to show for it.
There are days when all we ever encounter are roadblocks, preventing us from moving forward. The moments when our dreams seems so out of reach make us wonder if it’s truly worth pursuing or fighting for.
However, the challenges we face along the way are not meant to make us quit and just spend the rest of our days on the sidelines, being bitter about life. The challenges strewn on our paths are meant to test our mettle, to see if we’re made of stronger stuff.
It is normal to feel anxious when we’re dealing with life or when we are pursuing our goals. Nevertheless, that moment when you feel the greatest anxiety that it’s tempting to just quit is the perfect occasion to keep going.
Some people who quit going after their goals have feelings of deep regret for doing so — for it is only after they’ve thrown in the towel that they realize that success was actually so close, only if they’ve persevered.
There are a lot of important learning opportunities when you don’t give up.
When you never give up you can:
This post features 108 “never give up” quotes to give you that extra push for when you find your enthusiasm and determination flag when you are already so close to the finish line.
There are quotes about perseverance and never giving up, hard times quotes and sayings, and never give up on your dreams quotes.
Let’s begin with quotes about perseverance and never giving up. Hopefully, these words from the wise will propel you forward and enable you to achieve success.
(Side note: Another positive
What You Will Learn
Quotes About Never Giving Up
1. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” ―Harriet Beecher Stowe
2. “There is no failure except in no longer trying.”– Elbert Hubbard
3. “Things aren’t always easy, but you just have to keep going and don’t let the small stuff bog you down.”– Stella Maeve
4. “Never give up on something you believe in.” – Steve Scalise
5. “Don’t give up before the miracle happens.” – Fannie Flagg
6. “You never give up, even when you should.”– Kelly Creagh
7. “There’s nothing I can really do but keep going out there and swinging.”– Freddie Freeman
8. “Never give up your desire to be what you want to be. Stay focused, persistent and relentless.” ― Debasish Mridha MD
9. “Don’t listen to what anybody says except the people who encourage you. If it’s what you want to do and it’s within yourself, then keep going and try to do it for the rest of your life.”– Jake Gyllenhaal
10. “Stick around. Don’t lose your heart, just keep going, keep at it.”– Mark Ruffalo
11. “That’s what is incredible about human beings, is the choice to keep going.”– Jack Antonoff
12. “Never, never, never give up.”– Winston Churchill
13. “Your victory is right around the corner. Never give up.”– Nicki Minaj
14. “Never give up. You only get one life. Go for it!”– Richard E. Grant
15. “The only thing you should ever quit is giving up!”– Steve Pfeister
16. “Survival can be summed up in three words — never give up. That’s the heart of it, really. Just keep trying.”– Bear Grylls
17. “Either do not begin or, having begun, do not give up.”– Chinese Proverb
18. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.”– Albert Einstein
19. “Winners never quit, and quitters never win.”– Vince Lombardi
20. “How long should you try? Until.”– Jim Rohn
Positivity, confidence, and persistence are key in life, so never give up on yourself.” – Khalid
22. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.”
― Marilyn Monroe
23. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”– Harriet Beecher Stowe
24. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”– Thomas Edison
25. “Never stop trying. Never stop believing. Never give up. Your day will come.”– Mandy Hale
26. “I refuse to quit because I haven’t tried all possible ways yet.”– Unknown
27. “It is not wanting to win that makes you a winner; it is refusing to fail.”– Unknown
28. “You’re a fighter. Look at everything you’ve overcome. Don’t give up now.”– Olivia Benson
29. “When the world says, “Give up,” Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.” -Unknown
30. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”– Babe Ruth
31. “Giving up is the only sure way to fail.” ― Gena Showalter
32. “I never lose. I either win or learn.”– Nelson Mandela
33. “Nothing in the world can replace perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost legendary. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Perseverance and determination alone are omnipotent.”– Calvin Coolidge
34. “Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.”– Unknown
35. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.”– Japanese Proverb
36. “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
RELATED: How to Build a New Habit That Actually Sticks
Want to build success habits that will improve your life? Then watch this video to get the 9-step process for building habits that stick:
Perseverance is the cornerstone of never giving up. Some might consider it being stubborn. But in reality, it is just a doggedness of pushing forward when times get tough and never giving up until you have achieved your dreams.
One of the key facets of never giving up is hard work. If you have a dream, yet do nothing but fantasize about your dream, you are not persevering. You are simply wasting time. You need to dig in and give the 110% effort for your goals. Want some more inspiration to put in this effort? See this collection of 100 hard work quotes.
Let's dig-in to some these great perseverance quotes that show the spirit of never giving up regardless of the odds that seem to be stacked against you.
37. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
38. “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.”– William Feather
39. “When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.”– Unknown
40. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes it’s the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”– Mary Anne Radmacher
41. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” –Thomas Edison
42. “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”– Newt Gingrich
43. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”– Confucius
44. “Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.” – Charles F. Kettering
45. “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.”– Walter Elliot
46. “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” – John Quincy Adams
47. “Let me tell you the secret that has led to my goal. My strength lies solely on my tenacity.”– Louis Pasteur
48. “God helps those who persevere.” – The Koran
49. “Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.” – Author Unknown
50. “In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins- not through strength but by perseverance.” – H. Jackson Brown
51.“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” – Pele
As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thoughtI was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better.”– Dr. Steve Maraboli
At times, life feels like a hard climb while carrying a 20-pound pack. And just when you’ve finally reached the top, you discover that it’s the wrong side of the mountain.
It is too easy to give up when things are not going the way we expect them to. But always bear in mind that it is when we are put to the test with hardships and seemingly insurmountable challenges that we should hang on tight and just move in the direction of our dreams.
These hard times quotes and sayings encourage you to not give up at the most difficult stage of your journey.
Hard Times Quotes and Sayings
53. “Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.”– Marilyn vos Savant
54. “Circumstances don’t defeat you — you defeat yourself when you give up.”– Jonathan Lockwood Huie
55. “Keep going! Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” – Roy T. Bennett
56. “If you are going through hell, keep going.”– Winston Churchill
57. “Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.”– Coco Chanel
58. “Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to learn.” – Pema Chödrön
59. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.”– Robert. H. Schuller
60. “Life is at its best when everything has fallen out of place, and you decide that you're going to fight to get them right, not when everything is going your way and everyone is praising you.”― Thisuri Wanniarachchi
61. “Some people go through hard times, so bad that they can't even talk about it, but no matter what, we should never give up.”― Ifeoluwa Egbetade
62. “When hardships keep coming back, do not take it personal. It's just life.”– Naide P. Obiang
63. “Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”– Henry Ford
64. “To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.”– T. F. Hodge
65. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”– Dale Carnegie
Sometimes adversity is what you have to face in order to become successful.”– Zig Ziglar
67. “Sometimes adversity is what you have to face in order to become successful.”– Zig Ziglar
68. “Things don’t go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so that you can be all that you were intended to be.”– Charlie Jones
69. “I was taught the way of progress is neither swift nor easy.”– Marie Curie
70. “Never give up. There are always tough times, regardless of what you do in anything in life. Be able to push through those times and maintain your ultimate goal.”– Nathan Chen
71. “The harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph. Self-realization demands very great struggle.”– Swami Sivananda
72. “Things happen to you to make you realize your true potential, strength, will power, and heart. You’ve got to have faith.”– Dr. Byron Hayes
73. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is true strength.”– Arnold Schwarzenegger
74. “A failure is not always a mistake. It may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.” – B. F. Skinner
I’m stronger because of the hard times, wiser because of my mistakes, and happier because I have known sadness.”– Allison Vogel
76. “Just remember: To be great you have to be willing to be mocked, hated, and misunderstood. Stay strong”– Rumah Sehat
77. “Don’t close the book when bad things happen in your life! Just turn the page and start a new chapter!”– LaToya Jackson
78. “Never give up, and be confident in what you do. There may be tough times, but the difficulties which you face will make you more determined to achieve your objectives and to win against all the odds.”– Marta
79. “It’s perseverance that’s the key. It’s persevering for long enough to achieve your potential.” – Lynn Davies
Think back to what you said you wanted to be when you were a child.
Are you doing that thing now with the job you have? Do you spend time doing things that you love? Or are you one of the many who have long ago given up their dreams out of fear, out of deference to somebody else’s wishes, or simply because they think that it’s taking so much time to achieve what they want?
When you’re self-aware, your personal goals are closely aligned to who you truly are. However, it could mean choosing a lonely path that others would not dare tread upon.
And that’s why others quit going after what their heart truly desires. The fear of loneliness paralyzes them to inaction. But you have to embrace the suck and persevere.
These never give up on your dreams quotes are handpicked to remind you of being true to yourself. It’s only through this that you can contribute something meaningful to the world.
Never Give Up on Your Dreams Quotes
80. “We cannot ever stop dreaming just as we cannot ever stop breathing.”– Avijeet Das
81. “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”– Earl Nightingale
82. “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.”– H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
83. “Don't quit. Never give up trying to build the world you can see, even if others can't see it. Listen to your drum and your drum only. It's the one that makes the sweetest sound.”– Simon Sinek
84. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”– George Eliot
85. “The day you give up on your dreams is the day you give up on yourself.”– Unknown
86. “Don’t give up. There are too many nay-sayers out there who will try to discourage you. Don’t listen to them. The only one who can make you give up is yourself.”– Sidney Sheldon
87. “Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learning. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not clichés but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path.”– Phillip Sweet
88. “Go out into the world with your passion and love for what you do, and just never give up.” – Dianne Reeves
89. “I actually learned that you should never give up, and if you love something, take courage and absolutely go after it.”– Jessica Jung
90.“If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.”– Dr. Rooplen
91. “Do it again. Play it again. Sing it again. Read it again. Write it again. Sketch it again. Rehearse it again. Run it again. Try it again. Because ‘again’ is practice, and practice is an improvement, and improvement only leads to perfection.”– Richelle E. Goodrich
92. “Never quit believing that you can develop in life. Never give up. Don’t deny the inward spirit that provides the drive to accomplish great things in life.”– Jon Huntsman, Sr.
93. “Keep moving forward.”– Walt Disney
94. “It takes a dream to get started, desire to keep going, and determination to finish.”– Eddie Harris, Jr.
It takes a dream to get started, desire to keep going, and determination to finish.”– Eddie Harris, Jr.
96. “Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete? Proving nature’s laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet. Funny, it seems to by keeping its dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air. Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.”– Tupac Shakur
97. “Be as you wish to seem.”– Socrates
98. “Remember your dreams and fight for them. You must know what you want from life. There is just one thing that makes your dream become impossible: the fear of failure.”– Paulo Coelho
99. “Don’t give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you.”– John Wooden
You are never going to achieve many of the items on your bucket list if you give up easily. The final section of “never give up” quotes below are a potent reminder to keep going in spite of any obstacles that life might throw in our way.
Don't Give Up Quotes
100. “A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.” – George M. Moore Jr.
101. “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”– Newt Gingrich
102. “Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.”– Jack Ma
103. “Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete? Proving nature’s laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet. Funny, it seems to by keeping its dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air. Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.” – Tupac Shakur
104. “The best way out is always through.”-Robert Frost
105. “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.” -Martin Luther King Jr
106.“I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.”– Stephenie Meyer
107. “Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learning. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not cliches but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path.” -Phillip Sweet
108. “Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.” – James A. Michener
Final Thoughts on Never Give Up Quotes
When was the most recent instance when you felt like giving up? Did you follow through and actually do it? Or did you persevere nevertheless and see the fruits of your labor?
Share your experience about perseverance vs. giving up in the comments section below. We would love to hear about them.
Also, if you love any of the artworks that go along with the quotes in this article, please remember to share it through social media.
Finally, if these never give up quotes cheered you up, listen to these songs about not giving up for more inspiration.
Finally, if you want another positive