There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
What do Marie Curie, Samuel Clemens, and Leonardo da Vinci have in common?
Aside from being famous historical figures for their individual contributions to science, literature, and the arts, the three of them kept personal journals.
There are benefits to be had from a journaling habit.
First of all, it encourages mindfulness.
Journaling also helps improve our mental state and well-being. A journaling habit is known to reduce stress and alleviate symptoms of depression.
Plus, it improves productivity, sleep quality, and memory. Finally, journaling has been recognized as one of the best ways for people to get to know themselves better.
(Side note: Don’t know the “right” way to journal? If so, then check out this seven-step process for building a journaling habit that sticks.)
Today, we’re sharing a collection of journaling quotes to celebrate the positive impact journaling has on our lives. We hope that these quotes encourage a deeper appreciation for the journaling habit.
- “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
- “A good journal entry ought to be a love letter to the world.” – Anthony Doerr
- “I don’t journal to ‘be productive.’ I don’t do it to find great ideas or to put down prose I can later publish. The pages aren’t intended for anyone but me. It’s the most cost-effective therapy I’ve ever found.” – Tim Ferriss
- “Journaling is like whispering to one’s self and listening at the same time.” – Mina Murray
- “Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way of reaffirming my own existence.” – Gao Xingjian
- “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jen Williamson
- “Writing is medicine. It is an appropriate antidote to injury. It is an appropriate companion for any difficult change.” – Julia Cameron
- “Keeping a journal of what’s going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what’s important and what’s not.” – Martina Navratilova
- “We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection.” – Anaïs Nin
- “I hope that someday when I am gone, someone, somewhere, picks my soul up off of these pages and thinks, ‘I would have loved her.’” – Nicole Lyons
- “He captures memories because if he forgets them, it’s as though they didn’t happen.” – Donald Miller
- “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” – Natalie Goldberg
- “In the journal I am at ease.” Anaïs Nin
- “Your Journal is like your best friend, You don’t have to pretend with it, you can be honest and write exactly how you feel.” – Bukola Ogunwale
- “If you’re serious about becoming a wealthy, powerful, sophisticated, healthy, influential, cultured, and unique individual, keep a journal. Don’t trust your memory.” – Jim Rohn
- “Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it. Slap into it every stray thought that flutters up into your brain. Cheap paper is less perishable than gray matter. And lead pencil markings endure longer than memory.” – Jack London
- “Write hard and clear about what hurts.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “People who keep journals have life twice.” – Jessamyn West
- “Whether you’re keeping a journal or writing as a meditation, it’s the same thing. What’s important is you’re having a relationship with your mind.” – Natalie Goldberg
- “Journal writing gives us insights into who we are, who we were, and who we can become.” – Sandra Marinella
- “Preserve your memories, keep them well, what you forget you can never retell.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” – Anaïs Nin
- “In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself.” – Susan Sontag
“In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself.” – Susan Sontag
- “Journal: fitting your heart and soul into ruled lines.” – Terri Guillemets
- “Journaling is paying attention to the inside for the purpose of living well from the inside out.” – Lee Wise
- “But I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, to your children, your grandchildren, and others, on through the generations.” – Spencer W. Kimball
- “This pouring thoughts out on paper has relieved me. I feel better and full of confidence and resolution.” – Diet Eman
- “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
- “Writing is a way of talking without being interrupted.” – Jules Renard
- “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “Writing is the only way I have to explain my own life to myself.” – Pat Conroy
- “Keeping a journal: The short entries are often as dry as instant tea. Writing them down is like pouring hot water over them to release their aroma.” – Ernst Jünger
- “Documenting little details of your everyday life becomes a celebration of who you are.” – Carolyn V. Hamilton
- “The only thing I have done religiously in my life is keep a journal. I have hundreds of them, filled with feathers, flowers, photographs, and words – without locks, open on my shelves.” – Terry Tempest Williams
- “Writing in a journal reminds you of your goals and of your learning in life. It offers a place where you can hold a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself.” – Robin Sharma
- “Journaling can be an excellent way to increase self-awareness, discover and change habits.” – Akiroq Brost
- “Put pen to paper. The people who build their truest, most beautiful lives usually do.” – Glennon Doyle
Do you keep a journal?
If you do, you are in good company. A lot of famous and influential people have journaling habits that they acknowledge as being instrumental to their success.
We hope that this collection of journaling quotes inspires you to keep on writing.
If you loved any of the artwork featured today, a share through your favorite social media platform is very much appreciated.
Meanwhile, here are some posts about keeping a journal that you might want to check out:
Finally, if you don’t know the “right” way to journal, then check out this seven-step process for building a journaling habit that sticks.)