55 Being Alone Quotes About Not Being Lonely
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Many people panic at the thought of being alone.
This fear stems from society’s misconception that being alone is a terrible situation that no one should have to suffer.
These days, instant-messaging apps make it easier to connect with other people. If people find themselves alone, they immediately try to remedy their predicament by seeking the virtual company of others.
There is rarely a moment for quiet contemplation.
Solitude has become a lost art. People fear they will be labeled “lonely” if they take the time to enjoy their own company.
However, there are a lot of benefits to be reaped from moments of solitude.
The Benefits of Being Alone
Here are some reasons why spending time alone is good for you:
We encourage you to embrace moments of solitude for the awesome benefits they have for your well-being.
We’ve compiled this collection of being alone quotes to assure you that being alone does not necessarily mean being lonely.
- “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” – Buddha
- “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Truth is, I’m generally happiest when it’s just me. It’s okay to be madly in love with yourself.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” – Henry Rollins
- “It’s easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which makes you lonely.” – Lorraine Hansberry
- “Sometimes you need to take a break from everyone and spend time alone, to experience, appreciate and love yourself.” – Robert Tew
- “Ordinary men hate solitude. But the master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” – Lao Tzu
- “Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.” – Winston Churchill
- “If you are never alone, you cannot know yourself.” – Paulo Coelho
- “I’ve always believed that the only defeats and victories that matter in life are those you lose or win alone, against yourself.” – Mihail Sebastian
- “Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “Being alone has a power that very few people can handle.” – Steven Aitchinson
- “In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself.” – Laurence Sterne
- “There is nothing outside of yourself, look within. Everything you want is there – you are That.” – Rumi
- “Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living.” – Albert Einstein
- “In solitude is healing. Speak to your soul. Listen to your heart. Sometimes in the absence of noise we find the answers.” – Dodinsky
- “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.” – Aldous Huxley
- “If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never truly be fulfilled.” – Lao Tzu
- “A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone.” – Mandy Hale
- “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
- “By all means use sometimes to be alone. Salute thyself; see what thy soul doth wear.” – George Herbert
- “Solitude helps you find peace. Peace helps you find happiness.” – Maxime Lagacé
“Solitude helps you find peace. Peace helps you find happiness.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “Solitude has its own very strange beauty to it.” – Liv Tyler
- “Remember never to say that you are alone, for you are not alone; nay, God is within, and your genius is within.” – Epictetus
- “All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” – Blaise Pascal
- “A man can be himself so long as he is alone. If he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
- “Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character.” – James Russell Lowell
- “What a lovely surprise to discover how unlonely being alone can be.” – Ellen Burstyn
- “In stillness lives wisdom. In quiet you’ll find peace. In solitude you’ll remember yourself.” – Robin Sharma
- “Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your own presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement.” – Alice Koller
- “It is only in solitude that I ever find my own core.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- “Inside myself is a place where I live all alone, and that’s where I renew my springs that never dry up.” – Pearl S. Buck
- “Once you know how to take care of yourself, company becomes an option.” – Keanu Reeves
- “Those who fly solo have the strongest wings.” – Anonymous
- “Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone.” – Octavio Paz
- “The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “I try to factor solitude into my life because more and more, that’s becoming a very precious and rare commodity.” – Robyn Davidson
- “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel alone.” – Robin Williams
- “Talent develops in quiet places, character in the full current of human life.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “A happy life must be to a great extent a quiet life, for it is only in an atmosphere of quiet that true joy dare live.” – Bertrand Russell
- “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of genius.” – Edward Gibbon
Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of genius.” – Edward Gibb
- “I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person.” – Oscar Wilde
- “In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.” – Rollo May
- “I restore myself when I’m alone.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “I myself am best when least in company.” – William Shakespeare
- “Sometimes solitude is one of the most beautiful things on earth.” – Charles Bukowski
- “Your inner voice is the voice of divinity. To hear it, we need to be in solitude, even in crowded places.” – A. R. Rahman
- “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.” – Mark Twain
- “Without great solitude no serious work is possible.” – Pablo Picasso
- “The thought of being on my own really terrified me. But then I realized being alone is really a cleansing thing.” – Lindsey Buckingham
- “People think being alone makes you lonely, but I don’t think that’s true. Being surrounded by the wrong people is the loneliest thing in the world.” – Kim Bulberston
- “Associate with noblest people you can find; read the best books; live with the mighty. But learn to be happy alone. Rely upon your own energies, and so not wait for, or depend on other people.” – Thomas Davidson
There you have it—55 being alone quotes to help you embrace the art of solitude.
We hope that this collection of words inspires you to carve out time each day for the purpose of being alone.
Meanwhile, you might want to read the following posts if you’re looking for additional resources about solitude and being alone:
Finally, if you love any of the artwork featured today, feel free to share it on your social media platform of choice. Your share is very much appreciated.