There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
There’s no substitute for good old fashioned grit in the face of adversity.
Determination is something that nearly every successful person has in their possession. It’s one of the most universally praised traits or behaviors that anyone can have.
In today’s post, we’ll be getting into the nitty and gritty and focusing on what makes determination so great and some juicy determination quotes to get you pumped.
Why Determination Quotes Can Help You
Determination is the ability to keep on going despite obstacles, it’s also linked to decisiveness and firmness of purpose.
Someone who is determined sticks to the necessary steps to get what they want and isn’t side tracked when things become difficult.
So, how can determination quotes help you cultivate this quality?
When we say someone is determined, we mean someone who exhibits determined behavior consistently. In this case, they repeat that behavior over and over again until it becomes an ingrained part of their personality.
Anyone can become more determined. In many ways, our mindset determines how we behave or how we act when things get tough. Mindset is very much determined by you, and a lot of what shapes our mindset is controlled by the information we consume.
Determination quotes feeds your mind with the raw material to construct this behavioral trait. When you consistently act in a more determined manner, you’ll see yourself as a determined person.
The end result is that obstacles that would normally overwhelm you instead seem very surmountable. Instead of seeing problems and difficulties you’ll start to see challenges and solutions.
81 Determination Quotes to Overcome Your Personal Obstacles
- “People driven by intention are described as having a strong will that won’t permit anything to interfere with achieving their inner desire.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many–not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens
- “We won’t let history define our future. Our actions will do the talking. Our determination will turn doubters into believers.” – Andrew McCutchen
We won’t let history define our future. Our actions will do the talking. Our determination will turn doubters into believers.” – Andrew McCutchen
- Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don’t quit when you’re tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired. – Robert Strauss
- “We avoid the things that we're afraid of because we think there will be dire consequences if we confront them. But the truly dire consequences in our lives come from avoiding things that we need to learn about or discover.” – Shakti Gawain
- “Courage is the foundation of determination. Determination and courage are the cornerstones of success.” – M. K. Soni
- “Determination can change your mind. Determination can change your heart. Determination can change your life altogether.” – Sri Chinmoy
- “It will never rain roses. When we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.” George Eliot
- “Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” – Rumi
- “Determination was a necessary component of my success, along with knowing what to do and how to do it.” – Dianne Nahirny
- “You don’t need great skill to be a tough rebounder; being a rebounder is all about effort, determination, and physicality.” – Michael Malone
- Every achiever I have ever met says, ‘My life turned around when I began to believe in me. – Robert Schuller
- “I think that the power is the principle. The principle of moving forward, as though you have the confidence to move forward, eventually gives you confidence when you look back and see what you've done.” – Robert Downey Jr.
- “All depends on how determined we are to be successful.” – Robert Kiyosaki
- “The fixed determination to have acquired the warrior soul, to either conquer or perish with honor, is the secret of victory.” – George S. Patton
- “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” – Karen Lamb
A year from now you may wish you had started today.” – Karen Lamb
- “It's a dead-end street if you sit around waiting for someone else to tell you you're OK.” – Michael Pitt
- “If you are determined to live your best life, given your current circumstances, your life can be more fulfilling and purposeful than you ever thought possible. Be Determined. Be intentional.” – Mark K Fry Sr
- “Excellence calls for character . . . integrity . . . fairness . . . honesty . . . a determination to do what’s right. High ethical standards, across the board.” – Price Pritchett
- “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me?” – Ayn Rand
- “To anyone that ever told you you're no good…. They're no better.” – Hayley Williams
- “Motivation can be found in many different ways, if you can focus on your determination to overcome the odds, rather than how easy it is to quit…” – Dr. Phillip Terrance
- “I just bring the determination to win.” – LeBron James
- “He that can have patience can have what he will.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” – T. Harv Eker
- “Like the first crocus stubbornly blooming amidst the winter snow, may you be blessed with determination.” – Joanne Kaattari
- “The true test of a character is to face hard conditions with the determination to make them better.” – Helen Keller
- “Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be successful.” – Brian Tracy
- “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there.” – Bo Jackson
- “You can have talent and strength, but the most important is determination.” – Lyoto Machida
- “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.” – William Feather
Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.” – William Feather
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Anyone who works with or studies couples is left humbled and awed by the tenacity, resourcefulness, and grit of people who love each other and are determined to make their marriages work.” – John Gottman
- “We have to compete within ourselves relative to the determination it takes to be successful.” – Nick Saban
- “A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
- “With a powerful desire, with a strong determination, and with a commitment to yourself, you can find ways to achieve your goals, and overcome challenges.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “The power of determination will make you unstoppable.” – Jean Charest
- “Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting.” – Napoleon Hill
- “You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can't have it.” – Dr. Robert Anthony
- “A way there always is.” – Yoda
- “Today I am determined to go through the day with ought hurting myself, or another, with my thoughts or my actions.” – Gerald Jampolsky
- “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
- “Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don't let these feelings stop them.” – T. Harv Eker
- “I’ve always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.” – Arnold Palmer
- “Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “While I didn’t find the success I’d hoped for right away, it was that focus and determination that propelled me forward and kept me on a better path.” – Roy Huff
While I didn’t find the success I’d hoped for right away, it was that focus and determination that propelled me forward and kept me on a better path.” – Roy Huff
- “A little everyday goes a long long way” – Anonymous
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
- “Winners may not be the brightest people in the crowd, but they are eager and tenacious.” – Dr. Irene C. Kassorla
- “But with the right kind of coaching and determination you can accomplish anything and the biggest accomplishment that I feel I got from the film was overcoming that fear.” – Reese Witherspoon
- “I have discovered in life that there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go.” – Langton Hughes
- “Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” – Dr. Benjamin Spock
- “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” – Lao Tzu
- “There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- “I have willpower and determination. I am very resilient, like rock.” – Carnie Wilson
- “I never deviated from my grim determination to someday have all the money I needed and wanted.” – Taylor Caldwell
- “God gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest.” – Swedish Proverb
- “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?” – Marianne Williamson
- “Stop thinking, and end your problems.” – Lao Tzu
- “No problem is insurmountable. With a little courage, teamwork and determination a person can overcome anything.” – B. Dodge
- “Along with a strong belief in your own inner voice, you also need laser-like focus combined with unwavering determination.” – Larry Flynt
- “What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” – General Dwight D. Eisenhower
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” – General Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “Happiness is an attitude of mind, born of the simple determination to be happy under all outward circumstances.” – J. Donald Walters
- “Where the determination is, the way can be found.” – George S. Clason
- “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.” – Winston S. Churchill
- “If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” – Thomas Alva Edison
- “The best fighter is never angry.” – Lao Tzu
- “Never go backward. Attempt, and do it with all your might. Determination is power.” – Charles Simmons
- “Determination is only available to those who persevere and have the attitude of never giving up just because one thing did not work.” – Byron Pulsifer
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours.” – Richard Bach
- “Govern your tongue; control your mind, your habits, and your desires; be persistent; be unafraid; have a purpose and stick to it; be cheerful, so say the wise.” – Dorothea S. Kopplin
- “Find what you love to do, and go do it. You will never be successful until you have a plan, and the discipline and determination to go through with that plan.” – Julius Williams
- “Give the world the best you have, and the best will come to you.” – Madeline Bridge
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent van Gogh
- “To someone who is call to greatness in life, you will see the person will have such determination, determination beyond the ordinary.” – Nicole Gopher Mampuya
- “Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time-rich and cash-poor.” – Cory Doctorow
- “Determination makes you willing to do and determines what you are willing to do. Thus, determination is the impetus for persistence and perseverance for taking action.” – Dorothy Wehunt
- “It takes determination to see a dream come to pass. The question is not will you start, but will you finish.” – Joel Osteen
Final Thoughts on Determination Quotes
Determination is the cornerstone of success. Taking some time to grow your determination will give you the driving force you need to get what you want out of life, and push you into what you’re fully capable of being.
And if you're looking for more resources on determination, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 12 Bad or Negative Personality Traits That Hurt Your Life Success
- 75 Inspirational Champion Quotes to Create a Winning Mindset
- 45 Warrior Quotes to Harness Your Inner Hero
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..
Tom Smith is a creative writer with over 6 years of professional experience. He discovered the joy of writing after covering some furniture in his childhood home with graffiti. In later years, he got himself a BA in creative writing and hasn’t looked back. After discovering the power of positive thinking and discovering the spiritual side of life, he believes it's a huge privilege to be able to write about all things personal development.