There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Are you sick of bad attitudes creeping into the world? It feels as if everywhere you look, you see and hear messages that attack your happiness. Whether it’s on TV, social media or just in daily conversations, you get blasted by this wall of negativity.
Maybe you're like me, and you want to combat this by inviting positive things into your life. If so, then start by choosing a positive life message to guide you.
In this article, we’ll discuss the meaning of a life motto and how to come up with one of your own… and the importance of committing to it. I’ll end by offering a sampling of 137 life mottos to live by to help you get started.
What You Will Learn
What are Life Mottos?
A life motto is a brief statement that describes how you want to live your daily life. By choosing a life motto, it will give you a sense of purpose and direction. For example, if you want to be a kinder person, choose one that focuses on being kind. Basically, you can choose a life motto for whatever area in your life in which you want to be more positive.
You can make your motto about family, career, or being your authentic self. That's the beauty of these little maxims. They can be as unique as you are.
Choosing One that Resonates within You
Choose one that resonates within you, since this is going to be a guiding principle for you. In other words, let it speak to your soul. It should reflect the positive values that you hold dear.
Ultimately, it will help you define yourself. You'll be able to say, “Yes, this is who I am. This is me!” Then, when the negativity comes, you'll be prepared to withstand it.
How to Use a Life Motto
So, how do you use a personal motto to combat bad attitudes around you or within yourself?
Here are some tips:
Basically, you can think of it as your personal mission statement or a slogan. Filter everything you think, say, or do through this life motto. If it doesn't match up, then you have to change.
As a result, it will become your personal definition of success. You'll no longer be trapped by what others think. Moreover, you won't think negatively about yourself. If you're living according to your personal motto, then you're successful.
Then, no matter what circumstances you find yourself, you'll think more positively about yourself. In turn, this will increase your positive thoughts towards others. Essentially, it all comes down to how you think.
Think positive. Be positive.
Examples of Life Mottos to Live By
Ironically, I just gave you a good example of a life motto when I said, “Think positive. Be positive.”, and I wasn't even trying. Another great example that I have always loved is Ghandi's “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Also, you can get great inspiration from Yoda's “Do or do not. There is no try.”
Along with these, here are 137 more examples of life mottos to live by.
- The grass is greenest where you water it.
- Carpe Diem (Seize the Day).
- Be true to yourself at all times and to all people.
- Being is more important than doing.
- Be the best version of yourself that you can be.
- Strive every day to grow as a person.
- Let the beauty that is within shine bright like the stars.
- Be kind to everyone, because you never know what someone else is going through.
- Find joy in the little things.
- Live in the moment. Life is a series of moments.
- Celebrate the small wins.
- Do everything with purpose.
- Be a blessing to those you encounter.
- Find your why and pursue it.
- Don’t major in the minors. Don’t let insignificant details distract you.
- Take it one step at a time.
- Enjoy the wonder that is the universe.
- Don’t lose yourself in the chaos.
- Be a ray of sunshine in the darkness.
- Think outside the box. Better yet, burn the box and dance on the ashes.
- Be grateful for what you do have instead of focusing on what you don’t have.
- Don’t’ worry. Be happy.
- Start each day by being thankful for another opportunity.
- Hang on to the vision you have for your life.
- Passionately pursue your purpose.
- Embrace the suck.
- Do one thing that scares you every day.
- Never give up.
- You’ll never succeed if you don’t try.
- After the storm ends, the sun shines.
- It’s never too late to make a change.
- Live like it’s your last day.
- Make today count.
- Focus on your strengths.
- There’s always hope.
- It all starts with caring.
- Invest in others and you’ll see a return on your investment.
- Never give up the fight.
- Believe in yourself.
- Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
- Life is a journey. Enjoy the journey.
- Step out of your comfort zone.
- Expect the unexpected.
- Mistakes are learning opportunities.
- Plan the work and work the plan.
- Pick your battles.
- Establish a habit of success.
- Positivity is a choice.
- Be decisive in your actions.
- Diamonds are produced by pressure.
- Act instead of reacting.
- Progress, not perfection.
- Work toward your dreams.
- Believe you are worth the effort.
- Make a difference.
- Show others that they matter.
- Love others for who they are, not what they can do for you.
- Put others first.
- Never lose the childlike wonder.
- Don’t hesitate to act.
- Help one person at a time.
- Live life on your terms.
- Life is what you make it.
- Determine your destination, plot your course, and don’t look back.
- You haven’t made it this far to give up.
- Live with no regrets.
- Be an inspiration to others.
- Be a leader and not a follower.
- It only takes one person to make a difference.
- Pay it forward.
- Turn obstacles into opportunities.
- Promote others.
- You do you.
- You can’t read the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the previous chapter.
- While you have breath, you have hope.
- Live life to the fullest.
- Remove the word impossible from your vocabulary.
- Breathe. Let go. Smile. Repeat.
- Happiness is a choice.
- Everything is temporary.
- Life is filled with endless possibilities.
- Don’t let your fears stop you.
- Live the life you want, not the life others want.
- Do no harm.
- Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have.
- Be at home in your own skin.
- Whatever you find that works. Keep doing that.
- Lift others up. You’ll elevate yourself in the process.
- Learn something new every day.
- Be teachable.
- Become your own role model.
- Don’t worry about what other people are doing.
- Start each day by believing in yourself.
- Look for goodness in others.
- Be a cheerleader for others.
- You already have what it takes.
- Dig deep within yourself for the strength you need.
- Be mindful of the present to create a better future.
- Don’t look for validation from others. Find validation within yourself.
- Life is too short to waste on what-ifs.
- When you fall, have the courage to get back up.
- You discover who you really are in the struggle.
- Doing good is its own reward.
- Let kindness become as instinctive as breathing.
- Make time for others.
- Make love a priority.
- It doesn’t take a grand gesture to be kind.
- If you’re comfortable, you’re not growing.
- Always be moving forward.
- Change is necessary for living.
- Dare to make a difference.
- Life isn’t a contest.
- Let go of things you can’t change.
- Surround yourself with positivity.
- Life requires movement.
- You aren’t defined by your circumstances.
- Learn from others. They have so much to offer.
- Give more than you take.
- Be there for others.
- Life is a miracle. Look for the miraculous.
- Never settle for good enough.
- Find your passion.
- Let the fire within you warm those around you.
- Be a listener.
- Don’t be a bystander in your own story.
- Prepare yourself for the good things you want to happen.
- We might encounter setbacks, but we don’t have to accept defeat.
- The path is clear past the roadblock.
- Choose to be better instead of being bitter.
- Set goals and achieve them.
- Don't let someone else define success for you.
- Live well.
- Challenge the status quo.
- Be the calm voice in the midst of the shouting.
- Be someone others can trust.
- Be strong. Be happy. Be free.
- Let faith guide you.
Final Thoughts on Life Mottos to Live By
Whatever personal motto you choose, remember to make it personal. This is about what you want your life to be about. You're doing this to better yourself.
While saying that, it will help you bring more positivity into the world. As you become a more positive person, it will influence those around you. For that to happen, you have to be intentional and let your life motto guide your actions.
If you're looking for ways to grow as a person to accompany choosing life mottos to live by, check out our 19 Ways to Challenge Yourself Every Day to Grow as a Person.