329 Bucket List Ideas to Try Before You Die
A bucket list is something everyone should have.
It is just a series of tasks that we would like to complete, before we “kick the bucket” and die.
This is not meant to be a morbid list, however, but a collection of fun ideas to strive for.
A good bucket list is balanced. There should be items on the list that are easy to accomplish as you grow from a child to adult. Such as get a full time job and pay your own rent.
These simple bucket list ideas might be followed by more difficult versions of the same tasks, such as, “have a job that pays a minimum of 100K a year” and “Own your own home”.
Then finally there may be a really tough version that you hope intend to someday accomplish such as, “reach one million dollars in savings, assets and investments” or “own a beach house”.
The fact is that there are thousands of bucket list ideas. This list is a skeleton and should inspire you to add many more bucket list ideas as you progress.
As you go through this collection of bucket list ideas. Be sure to write your own personal list. Add in everything that challenges you. Add in thing you think would be fun. Add in some things you have accomplished and at least one cool “next stage” achievement.
Bucket List Challenge: 5 Steps to Create Your Perfect Bucket List
Don't know how to make a bucket list? Not sure what's important enough to go on this list? Then watch this video to discover five elements to include in a bucket list and the best tools for maintaining this collection of ideas.
What's on My Bucket List?
Still confused about type of items to put a bucket list. Well, let me provide a personal example.
I am a marathon runner, which means many items on my list relate to traveling and completing marathons in different locations.
Running the New York City & Boston Marathon’s were on my list, as was finishing a marathon in less than 3 hours. Now, I am nearly in my mid 40s. I haven’t done a sub- three in a few years. I don’t think I can ever beat my best time. I have run in the two biggest marathons in the world… but my biggest bucket list idea is still incomplete.
To run a marathon in every single state. This combines my love of running with my love of travel for a great achievement. (27 of 50 done, FYI)
I say these things, not to brag, but to show that some of the best bucket list ideas should combine the things you love and turn them into massive, but fun, accomplishments.
Well, enough of my thoughts, lets get on to the bucket list ideas…
65 Travel Destination Bucket List Ideas
Travel destinations is the biggest section on this collection of bucket list ideas. I think it may be one of the biggest sections on most people’s personal bucket lists too.
Travel is awesome, but something that is unfortunately often delayed until we have, “time” and “money” to enjoy travel. Which many people equate to be retirement. (Again, these 16 money-saving apps can help you with these goals.)
If the opportunity can be made. Try to get travel bucket list items off your list before that elusive “sometime” comes around. Being able to enjoy some of these items while still young and energetic is priceless.
Travel Destination Bucket List Ideas
1. Attend the Samba Parade in the Brazilian Carnaval.
2. Backpack through Europe.
3. Bathe in the Blue Lagoon Geothermal Spa, Iceland.
4. Camp in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness, Oregon.
5. Edge Walk at Toronto’s CN Tower.
6. Enter the Forbidden City in Beijing, China.
7. Explore ghost towns in the Pacific Northwest.
8. Explore Iao Valley State Monument, Hawaii.
9. See the Dead Sea.
10. Fly in a hot air balloon over the Loire Valley.
11. Go on an African safari.
12. Go parahawking in Nepal.
13. Go roller-skating at Oaks Park in Portland, Oregon.
14. Go snorkeling.
15. Go to a nude beach.
16. Go to the top of Pike's Peak.
17. Go volcano boarding in Nicaragua.
18. Go whitewater rafting in Maine.
19. Hike in Fern Canyon in Redwoods National Park.
20. Hike the Inca trail.
21. Play the Old Course at St. Andrews.
22. Ride a gondola in Venice, Italy.
23. See Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
24. See the Coliseum in Rome.
25. See the Grand Canyon and walk the Skywalk.
26. See the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis).
27. See the spring tulips in Woodburn’s Tulip Festival, Oregon.
28. See the Tower of London.
29. Stand at the top of Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
30. Stand in the Sistine Chapel.
31. Stay at the Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi, Sweden.
32. Stay in each of the arrondissements of Paris, France.
34. Swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
35. Swim in the world's largest swimming pool in San Alfonso del Mar resort in Algarrobo, Chile.
36. Swim inside cenotes in Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico.
37. Visit [name of country].
38. Visit all countries.
39. Visit [name of state].
40. Visit all US states.
41. Visit all Disneyland Resorts.
42. Visit Canada’s Niagara Falls.
43. Visit Cape Perpetua on Oregon's coast.
44. Visit Easter Island.
45. Go to the Louvre Museum.
46. Visit Granite Island in Australia.
47. Visit Hallstatt, Austria.
48. Visit Old Havana other places in Cuba.
49. Visit Machu Picchu in Peru.
50. Visit St. Mark’s Basilica.
51. Visit Stonehenge.
52. Visit the best castles in Europe.
53. Travel to Brazil during Carnival.
53. Visit the original Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
54. Visit the Palace of Versailles in France.
55. Visit the best pink sand beaches.
56. Visit Universal Studios in Florida.
57. Walk through Ice Castles at Silverthorne, Colorado.
58. Do the Sydney zombie walk.
59. Cycle down the Danube Bike Trail.
60. See Holland in bloom.
61. Stick my toes in every Great Lake.
62. Do [one of your favorite things] for an accomplishment. For example, "Run a marathon in every state."
63. Visit a winery in France.
64. Visit Romania and see Dracula's Castle.
65. Hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail.
51 Bucket List Ideas of New Skills to Learn
In this day and age, it is essential to learn and keep learning. The days of going to school until you graduate college and then “stopping” learning are past. To keep up with your competition you need a good education, and then you need to keep learning new things related to your field to stay competitive.
Plus a lot of things you can learn are fun, great stress relievers, and things that you may likely really enjoy learning. If you are interested in learning new things please check out this post that gives a lot more details on how to go about doing it.
Learn New Skills Bucket List Ideas
1. Learn how to play [name of sport].
2. Learn archery.
3. Learn how to play chess.
4. Learn how to snowboard.
5. Learn how to ice-skate.
6. Learn to ski.
7. Learn to surf.
8. Learn [name of fighting technique].
9. Learn Krav Maga.
10. Learn Kung Fu.
11. Learn Karate.
12. Learn Jujitsu.
13. Learn Aikido.
14. Learn Taekwondo.
15. Learn Kalarippayattu.
16. Learn Savate.
17. Learn how to cook [name of dish].
18. Learn how to bake [name of cake or pastry].
19. Learn how to speak [name of language]. (This app is perfect for learning languages.)
20. Learn how to play [name of game].
21. Learn how to play poker and win.
22. Learn how to drive a car.
23. Learn how to ride a horse.
24. Learn how to ride a motorcycle.
25. Learn how to shoot a gun.
27. Learn how to use chopsticks.
28. Learn programming.
29. Learn sign language.
30. Learn to juggle.
31. Learn to knit.
32. Learn to lockpick.
33. Learn to sew.
34. Learn to speed read.
35. Learn how to cross-stitch.
36. Learn how to play the guitar.
37. Learn how to change a tire.
38. Create your perfect study routine.
41. Learn self-defense.
42. Learn to use Todoist
43. Learn how to wake up early.
44. Learn how to budget.
45. Learn ins-and-outs of Evernote
46. Become an expert in [name of field or industry].
47. Learn at least five magic tricks.
48. Learn how to blow glass.
49. Learn how to practice mindfulness
50. Learn how to make a sculpture.
36 Bucket List Ideas of Life Milestones to Experience
We all have life milestones we will remember forever. The first kiss. The first child. The first car. First home.
These special moments were listed here and they absolutely all be part of your bucket list ideas. Not only that but the basic list of life experiences should easily make you think about dozens of more.
Experience Life Milestones Bucket List Ideas
1. Enjoy my first kiss.
2. Move out of parent's house.
3. Go on a holiday with friends.
4. Fall in love.
5. Get engaged.
6. Get married.
7. Have a [location] wedding.
8. Become a parent.
9. Adopt and raise a child.
10. Be there for a baby's first step
11. Become a godparent.
12. Rescue an animal.
13. Be a bridesmaid/best man.
14. Clear my debts.
15. Finish high school.
16. Get a bachelor's degree.
17. Get a masters degree.
18. Get a PhD.
19. Get your dream job.
20. Become a [position] at work.
21. Earn [amount] per year.
22. Buy first home.
23. Buy an investment property.
25. Host a dinner party.
26. Buy properties to let.
27. Start a business.
28. Retire at [age].
29. Go on a vacation twice a year.
30. Become a millionaire by [age].
31. Get a passport.
32. Live and/or study abroad for [time period].
33. Join a ministry in church.
34. Go on a religious mission to help [people/place]
35. Vote in an election.
36. Prepare a will.
71 Bucket List Ideas of Unique Outdoor Activities
I love outdoor activities. That is why coming up with so many bucket list ideas for this section was so easy -for me there are so many outdoor activities I want to try someday. The 71 bucket list ideas below are just a small sampling of what is out there for you to visit or experience in the great wide world.
If you'd like to find a method for saving for these fun ideas, then the Digit app can help.
Unique Outdoor Activities Bucket List Ideas
1. Bathe in waterfalls.
2. Be in two places at once.
3. Be part of a flashmob.
4. Capture lightning in a photo.
5. Drive Route 66.
6. Go BASE jumping.
7. Go SCAD diving.
8. Go beach horseback riding and swim with horses.
9. Go blob jumping.
10. Go bungee jumping.
11. Go cliff jumping.
12. Go flyboarding.
13. Go helmet diving.
14. Go ice skating on an outdoor rink.
15. Go indoor skydiving.
16. Go Jet-Skiing.
17. Go kite buggying.
18. Go kitesurfing or kite-boarding.
19. Go on a horse drawn sleigh ride.
20. Go on a luxury cruise.
21. Go on a road trip with a friend.
22. Go on a camping trip.
23. Go on a picnic.
24. Go on an early morning forest walk.
25. Go on mountain biking.
26. Go paintballing.
27. Go paragliding
28. Go aqua zorbing or sphereing.
29. Go sandsurfing.
30. Go skinny dipping.
31. Go skydiving.
32. Go tandem skydiving.
33. Go SCUBA diving.
34. Go water tubing.
35. Go waterskiing.
36. Go whitewater rafting.
37. Go windsurfing.
38. Go ziplining.
39. Go zorbing.
40. Go ZUBA diving.
41. Kayak with whales.
42. Plant a tree.
43. Ride a double-decker bus in London.
44. Ride a Segway.
46. Ride in a hot air balloon.
47. Ride on the back of a motorcycle.
48. Ride the AquaSkipper or the Pumpabike.
49. Run the [name of marathon].
50. Run the New York Marathon.
51. See a snowy Christmas and make snow angels.
52. Sleep underneath the stars.
53. Solve a Rubik’s Cube.
54. Spend my birthday in a foreign country.
55. Swim in bioluminescent water.
56. Swim with dolphins.
57. Swim with manatees.
58. Take an outdoor shower.
59. Take underwater pictures.
60. Walk barefoot in the rain.
61. Walk on stilts.
62. Watch a meteor shower.
63. Wrestle an alligator.
64. Climb a rock wall.
65. Cut down my own Christmas tree.
66. Do a retreat in a Buddhist monastery.
67. Drive a dune buggy.
68. Go skinny dipping.
69. Have a bonfire on the beach.
70. Have a drink on a rooftop bar.
71. Complete a Triathlon.
23 Charity Bucket List Ideas
Life is not just about you. It is not just about me. An important, and far to often overlooked, aspect of life is what we can do for others.
Ultimately these tasks are NOT here because I want us to “save the world” together, by using the ideas on this bucket list. The fact is that being charitable feels good. It may even feel good that you get more out of it than the people you are supposed to be helping.
Charity Bucket List Ideas
3. Become a registered organ donor.
4. Buy a homeless person a meal.
5. Buy someone's groceries.
6. Dispose personal trash properly.
7. Donate toys at the holidays.
8. Help build a home.
9. Help local food bank.
10. Host a charity event.
12. Join the bone marrow register.
13. Make a Kiva Loan.
14. Raise [amount] for a good cause.
16. Start a non-profit organization.
17. Volunteer abroad.
18. Volunteer at a homeless shelter.
19. Volunteer for a full day.
20. Volunteer on a regular basis.
21. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
22. Perform random acts of kindness (RAOK.org).
23. Pay it forward.
30 Bucket List Ideas of Entertainment and Sports Events to Watch Live
If you are a sports guy (or gal). Finding ideas for attending cool sporting events should be easy. They may even be fun things you participate in if you happen to be unusually skilled in a cool sport like, ‘cup stacking’. Below are just a few ideas.
Entertainment and Sports Events Live Bucket List Ideas
1. Attend [name of place] ComicCon.
2. Attend a Kentucky Derby.
3. Attend a Murder Mystery Dinner.
4. Attend an All Black game.
5. Attend the Summer Olympics.
6. Go to the Super Bowl
7. Get [celebrity or athlete] autograph.
8. Have Dinner in the Sky.
9. Meet and take a picture with [name of celebrity].
10. See a Cirque de Soleil show.
11. See the Broadway musical, [name].
12. See a Vegas show
13. Visit/participate in the “over the line” tournament in San Diego
14. Watch a [artist or band name] concert live.
15. Watch a baseball game at Wrigley Field.
16. See one game at every baseball stadium.
17. See one game at every football stadium.
18. See one game at every (sport) stadium
19. Watch a movie outdoors.
20. Watch a Wimbledon championship match.
21. Watch a WWE match live.
22. Watch an NBA All-Star Weekend live.
23. Watch the world's best fireworks displays.
24. Watch an exhibition by the US Air Force Thunderbirds.
25. Watch an opera.
26. Watch world-class symphony orchestra perform.
27. Watch a live ballet performance of the Swan Lake.
28. Watch all of [film director’s name] films.
29. Go to a PGA tour event. Remember to “golf clap”
30. See some Olympics events live
34 Bucket List Ideas of Personal and Family Goals to Accomplish
These goals are a mixed bag. They can be goals you reach with family. They can be goals that make you “better” in some small ways. They could be fun, “experiments” you do while young, but would never try as a “mature adult.” They could even be bad things you may not, really, accomplish like “get arrested”.
(Side note: One of the simplest ways to achieve your career goals is to join over 1 million others and start your day with the latest news from Wall St. to Silicon Valley. This newsletter is a 5-minute read that's informative, witty and FREE!)
More than any other items, the bucket list ideas below really depend upon your personal goals.
Personal and Family Goals Bucket List Ideas
1. Become an early riser.
2. Make my own homebrew beer.
3. Chop my hair off.
4. Try a strange color hair (blue, pink, etc)
4. Clean up after myself.
5. Cook a new recipe once a week for a year.
6. Cosplay [character] in Halloween.
7. Create a family mission statement.
8. Create a family tradition.
9. Create family tree.
10. Develop an exercise habit.
11. Stop procrastinating.
12. Get arrested.
14. Get a straight razor shave.
15. Go on a memorable family vacation.
16. Go to bed at 10 PM.
17. Stay up two days straight
17. Kiss under the mistletoe.
18. Meditate every morning.
19. Name a star.
20. Break a bad habit.
21. Read one book a week for a year.
22. Join a book club
23. Ride a mechanical bull.
24. Take a photo every day for a month.
25. Take cute pictures in a photobooth.
26. Use portion control successfully.
28. Write my future self a love letter.
29. Make cool stuff with woodworking for your home.
30. Do a [difficult pose] in Yoga.
31. Live an entire day mindfully.
32. Have your “15 minutes of fame.”
33. Fix a major home appliance by yourself.
34. Survive a bad hangover.
35. Read your 500th, 1000th or 10,000th book.
19 Food & Drink Bucket List Ideas
Food and drink. We need them to survive, but there are also so many varieties of food. Trying many different dishes from many different cultures allows you to experiences some great foods. Mixing in travel and trying the best dishes in the places they are known for makes an exciting twists on the ideas of food and bucket lists.
Food & Drink Bucket List Ideas
1. Cook a buried pig in Hawaii.
2. Drink a $1,000 bottle of champagne.
3. Eat a Murtabak in Malaysia.
4. Eat at the Djemaa el Fna in Marrakesh, Morocco.
5. Eat gelato in Italy.
6. Eat Pad Thai noodles on Khao San Road, Thailand.
7. Eat pizza in New York.
8. Enjoy some fish & chips in Hastings, England.
9. Have a drink in an Ice Bar.
10. Have chocolate fondue.
11. Taste the chocolates of the best chocolatiers in the world.
12. Try [name of country] cuisine.
13. Try Cassoulet in France.
14. Try some roast goat with the Maasai in Kenya.
15. Try some Smørrebrød in Denmark.
16. Visit famous bakeries and try their specialties.
17. Eat a snail (escargot).
18. Try Pho.
19. Eat a Beignet at Cafe Du Monde.
One Final Thought on Bucket Lists
Here is a secret. Bucket lists are never meant to be completed. Who wants to be 50 and reach the end of their bucket list. What are you supposed to do then. Just stop enjoying life>
Keep most items on your bucket list achievable, but make the amount of items and the amount of “tough” completions difficult enough that finishing “everything” would be very tough. Then if you get close. Add more things to do.
Also. There are “normal” bucket list ideas. And ones that are extra tough. For completing big milestones, you might also want to think of some ways to reward yourself.
Finally, the one main obstacle to achieving many of the items on your bucket list is being to afford these ideas and/or learn how to implement them.
So if you want two great resources, then I'd suggest checking out:
Did you like these ideas? Want to add some of your own bucket list ideas? Please share them in the comments below!