There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Throughout life, we all face setbacks and challenges. There will always be difficulties that take everything we’ve got in order to overcome them.
Resilience determines what we do next when faced with difficulties. Do we allow ourselves to drown in a difficult situation, or do we refuse to go under?
When we are resilient, we have the ability to bounce back after going through things that are outside of our comfort zones, such as catastrophic career failures, personal health emergencies, and the loss of loved ones.
The Resilience of the Human Spirit
Today’s collection of resilience quotes reflects the innate ability of the human spirit to find the good in even the worst experience, and to take inspiration from it in order to move forward.
The quotes serve as reminders that even though things are tough right now, you’ll make it through. Have faith in your ability to bounce back, and you’ll overcome those obstacles. You will thrive.
1. “Enthusiasm is common. Endurance is rare.” – Angela Duckworth
2. “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
3. “I tried and failed. I tried again and again and succeeded.” – Gail Borden
4. “There’s no such thing as ruining your life. Life’s a pretty resilient thing, it turns out.” – Sophia Kinsella
5. “No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That's the only way to keep the roads clear.” – Greg Kincaid
6. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
7. “Each one of us is more than the worst thing we've ever done.” – Sheryl Sandberg
8. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
9. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” – Mary Anne Radmacher
10. “Adversity reveals genius.” – Horace
11. “Resilience is born by grounding yourself in your own loveliness, hitting notes you thought were way out of your range.” – Gregory Boyle
12. “Strong people alone know how to organize their suffering so as to bear only the most necessary pain.” – Emil Dorian
13. “I am down. And that is okay. I may be down for a while, but I will rise again. And when I rise, I will rise higher than I’ve gone before, I will be stronger than I’ve been before. I will thrive.” – Brian Vaszily
14. “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” – Theodore Roosevelt
15. “She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails.” – Elizabeth Edwards
16. “A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a person perfected without trials.” Chinese Proverb
17. “Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” – Nelson Mandela
18. “Beautiful gems can emerge from dirt. Struggle can teach you self-discipline and resilience.” – Dipa Sanatani
19. “The moment we believe that success is determined by an ingrained level of ability as opposed to resilience and hard work, we will be brittle in the face of adversity.” – Joshua Waitzkin
20. “A comeback is a setback that did its homework, learned the lesson, and then moved forward.” – Eleanor Brownn
21. “Resilience is knowing that you are the only one that has the power and the responsibility to pick yourself up.” – Mary Holloway
22. “True resilience fosters well-being, an underlying sense of happiness, love, and peace.” – Rick Hanson
23. “Fear is the story you tell yourself. Learn from the lesson behind your story.” – Michelle Kuei
24. “Don't ever forget your worth when you hit rock-bottom: a pearl doesn't cease to be special just because it's buried beneath the sea.” – Giada Nizzoli
25. “The strength of a body can be gauged by how quickly it recovers from a fall.” – Marty Rubin
26. “Become more resilient by learning to focus on solutions rather than problems.” – Byron Pulsifer
Become more resilient by learning to focus on solutions rather than problems.” – Byron Pulsifer
27. “Our resilience increases as we recognize the magnitude of what we have already accomplished.” – Patricia O’Gorman
28. “Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before.” – Elizabeth Edwards
29. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
30. “Resilience is based on compassion for ourselves as well as compassion for others.” – Sharon Salzberg
31. “I won’t lose hope. I won’t be broken.” – Rachel L. Schade
32. “It's during our very worst fall that we can either die or learn to fly.” – Sira Masetti
33. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin
34. “If your heart is broken, make art with the pieces.” – Shane Koyczan
35. “I will not be another flower, picked for my beauty and left to die. I will be wild, difficult to find, and impossible to forget.” – Erin Van Vuren
36. “Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving; we get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving; we get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
37. “Persistence and resilience only come from having been given the chance to work through difficult problems.” – Gever Tulley
38. “Resilience is all about being able to overcome the unexpected. Sustainability is about survival. The goal of resilience is to thrive.” – Jamais Cascio
39. “Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.” – Yasmin Mogahed
40. “We all suffer, and we all triumph, and we all get to choose how we hold both.” – Demi Moore
41. “Cracked up by life with a laugh that’s known bitter but, past it, got better.” – Jayne Relaford Brown
42. “With every breath hope rises.” – George E. Miller
43. “Resilience can go an awful long way.” – Eddie the Eagle
44. “You will never know your fullest potential, unless you are forced way beyond your usual comfort zone.” – Tony Duvale
45. “Things always get better with time, just wait and see.” – Clavel Nelson
46. “Resilience isn’t a single skill. It’s a variety of skills and coping mechanisms. To bounce back from bumps in the road as well as failures, you should focus on emphasizing the positive.” – Jean Chatzky
47. “It may sound strange, but many champions are made champions by setbacks.” – Bob Richards
It may sound strange, but many champions are made champions by setbacks.” – Bob Richards
48. “We will either find a way, or make one.” – Anibal Barca
49. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Og Mandino
50. “Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.” – Alex Karras
51. “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” – Ernest Hemingway
Final Thoughts on Resilience Quotes
Resilience is a skill, and like all skills, it is something that you can develop.
But how do you go about developing resilience? There are a couple of things you can do.
First, learn to let go of past hurts. These are the things holding you down and preventing you from bouncing back when you encounter adversity. Perhaps it’s time to drop that extra baggage and travel lighter.
When you’ve learned to let go, the next thing to do is pursue things that increase your happiness. You could check out this helpful post on how to increase your happiness levels by doing habits that are backed by science.
We hope that the quotes featured today inspire you to trust in your ability to get up and move forward despite the obstacles and pitfalls along the way.
We hope you like the artwork featured along with the quotes in this post. They are printable and shareable. Feel free to enjoy them.
And if you want more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 173 Uplifting Quotes for Difficult Times in Your Life
- 43 Patience Quotes to Inspire You Through Difficult Challenges
- 115 Work Ethic Quotes to Motivate Your Efforts
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..