There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Travel quotes make you laugh, guide your decision-making, point you to your next travel destination, and inspire your wanderlust.
The quotes we’ve gathered for this collection are from people who understand that travel is as essential to life as air itself.
Travel has benefits for our health and well-being. It is one of the activities that give us:
Whether there are several destinations written on your bucket list or it’s a spur-of-the-moment decision, taking the opportunity to travel will help you grow into a broader person.
A word of caution before reading on: These quotes might cause an immediate, uncontrollable urge to pack your bags and go on your next adventure. Keep travel documents within reach.
(Side note: Want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life? Then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you).
Here are some of the best quotes about traveling.
- “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
- “The gladdest moment in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
- “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
- “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Saint Augustine
- “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
- “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca
- “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
- “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “He who would travel happily must travel light.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- “Take only memories. Leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
- “No place is ever as bad as they tell you it’s going to be.” – Chuck Thompson
- “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac
- “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.” – Mark Twain
- “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
- “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
- “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James Michener
- “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
- “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal.” – Paolo Coelho
- “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
- “Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.” – Thomas Fuller
- “Great things never came from comfort zones.” – Anonymous
- “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
- “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
- “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
- “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
- “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough
- “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
- “Jobs fill your pocket but adventures fill your soul.” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
- “The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.” – W. B. Yeats
- “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
- “It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.” – Penelope Riley
- “The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
- “I would rather own a little and see the world than own the world and see a little of it.” – Alexander Sattler
- “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you can control it.” – John Steinbeck
- “Take the time to put the camera away and gaze in wonder at what’s there in front of you.” – Erick Widman
- “Blessed are the curious for they will have adventures.” – Author Unknown
- “Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets.” – Oscar Wilde
- “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
- “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
- “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
- “It is probably a pity that every citizen of each state cannot visit all the others, to see the differences, to learn what we have in common, and come back with a richer, fuller understanding of America – in all its beauty, in all its dignity, in all its strength, in support of moral principles.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “Oh the places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
- “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
There you have it—quotes about traveling to spark the spirit of adventure within you.
We hope these quotes fill you with the desire to explore amazing places, get to know new people, and immerse yourself in wonderful and meaningful experiences away from home.
Have you already chosen your next travel destination?
Before we part ways, you might want to check out the following posts for more travel resources:
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what's truly important to you..