7 Healthy Benefits of Essential Oils (and why they matter)
Why care about the benefits of essential oils? What are essential oils? and how can they help you? Why is it worthwhile to make a habit of using essential oils for your healthy living needs?
If you are thinking about creating a habit of using essential oils, this post gives you all the information you need to make informed decisions about essential oils, aromatherapy and what benefits of essential oils may be right for you.
Pharmaceutical drugs have dangerous side effects that can cause serious bodily harm, more and more of us are turning to more natural approaches when it comes to caring for our health. Our minds and bodies need frequent care, and by using natural remedies to heal ourselves we can be free of the worries of unwanted side effects.
One of the safest and most effective forms of alternative medicine is aromatherapy. Aromatherapy uses plant-based essential oils to provide the mind and body with numerous health benefits. These oils are typically inexpensive and free of harmful side effects, and they work very quickly as the oils get absorbed through the skin and lungs.
What Is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic essential oils derived from plants for the purpose of enhancing the well-being of one's physical or psychological health. Aromatherapy has been used for centuries as an alternative medicine that safely and effectively treats numerous ailments.
To create essential oils, the natural oils in certain plants are extracted and distilled, resulting in an extremely concentrated product packed with healing benefits.
Essential oils used in aromatherapy trigger responses in the brain that send healing to the body. These oils can balance out hormone levels, heal digestive disorders, and dramatically reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Scientific studies have shown that aromatherapy is a completely legitimate form of medicine. By inhaling essential oils, nerves in the nose trigger powerful brain responses. Similarly, topical application allows these essential oils to quickly enter the bloodstream by being absorbed through skin tissue.
When selecting essential oils, it is important to look for pure and natural products. Oils that contain synthetic chemicals and dyes will not be nearly as effective.
How Can Essential Oils Be Applied?
Aromatherapy can be applied in many different ways depending on the condition that you want to address. Topical use of essential oils is very effective in treating skin ailments and mood disorders. Some essential oils are highly beneficial when ingested. For instance, by swallowing peppermint essential oil, you can relieve gas and stomach cramps. Some essential oils can even be used as flavoring agents that offer nutritional value, such as lemon essential oil, which adds flavor to water while providing the body with vitamin C.
If you are using aromatherapy to address a psychological imbalance such as stress, depression, or anxiety, you may choose to add an oil such as lavender to an essential oil diffuser or a hot bath. By simply breathing the oil in, you will receive the benefits that this oil can offer on a psychological level.
An oil diffuser doubles as a humidifier, allowing healing essential oils to enter your body while you sleep.
When applying essential oils topically, some oils require a carrier oil. For example, tea tree oil is highly effective in treating fungal infections and inflammation, but may be mildly irritating to more sensitive areas of the skin such as the eye area and the genitals. In this case, a carrier oil may be required.
What Is a Carrier Oil?
A carrier oil is an oil in which the essential oil can be diluted. By diluting your essential oil in a carrier oil, it may then easily be applied to the skin. Carrier oils will reduce skin sensitivity and also increase absorption through skin tissue. There are several different carrier oils from which you may choose, including:
This video demonstrates how to properly apply an essential oil to a carrier oil.
7 Benefits of Essential Oils
It's important to experiment, as different carrier oils may affect your skin differently. For instance, if you are using an essential oil to treat acne, test out a few different oils on a small section of your face to see how your skin reacts.
1. Improve Mood and Set a Positive Atmosphere
Scents are powerful stimuli that directly enter the brain, triggering intense emotional responses.
By inhaling essential oils, your brain will signal certain emotions that can leave you feeling energized, optimistic, and hopeful.
These oils can be added to a hot bath or used in an oil diffuser to create a positive atmosphere inside your home.
Essential Oils to Improve Mood
- Eucalyptus essential oil is a natural stimulant that can help you wake up more easily in the morning. It can also greatly improve your overall mood.
- Studies have shown that jasmine essential oil can not only significantly reduce stress, but also enhance your overall mood. It can also help make you more alert.
- Orange, jasmine, sandalwood, and vanilla essential oils have all been shown to greatly enhance mood and promote feelings of optimism.
- Grapefruit essential oil can give you an energizing boost to help you start your day.
- Rosemary essential oil not only reduces stress and enhances positive feelings, but also improves cognitive brain function. This oil is highly effective if you need to study for an exam or make a good impression at a job interview.
2. Benefits of Essential Oils for Relaxation and Sleep
Studies have shown that aromatherapy is very useful in treating psychological disorders such as stress, depression, and anxiety.
By using essential oils to stimulate positive signals in your brain, you can significantly reduce negative emotional conditions. You may use these oils in an oil diffuser or a hot bath.
You can also apply these oils topically to emotional trigger points throughout the body, such as the neck, the elbows, behind the ears, and the backs of the knees.
Essential Oils for Relaxation and Sleep
- The use of lavender essential oil has been shown to be highly effective as an anxiety reducer. Studies have also linked the use of lavender essential oil to a decrease in depression symptoms. Lavender essential oil can even reduce symptoms of PTSD and postpartum depression. As lavender essential oil encourages relaxation of the mind, it can be a powerful sleep aid.
- Bergamot essential oil is a natural anxiety remedy. It has been shown to encourage relaxation and lower blood pressure and heart rate. Bergamot essential oil can also slow down breathing patterns that tend to elevate during moments of anxiety.
- Clary sage oil can reduce anxiety and depression significantly as well. It is a natural mild sedative that has even been shown to reduce seizures. Clary sage oil can balance hormone levels and is incredibly useful as a treatment for PMS symptoms.
3. Inflammation Relief
Certain essential oils have powerful anti-inflammatory properties that, when applied to the skin, can reduce irritation and inflammation. These oils may either be applied directly to skin or used with a carrier oil.
Essential Oils for Inflammation Relief
- Tea tree oil is effective in treating acne and skin inflammation. It can reduce redness associated with inflammation as well.
- For digestive inflammation, peppermint essential oil can be highly effective. Peppermint essential oil can reduce inflammation of the intestines that results from digestive disorders.
- Rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils can reduce inflammation of the sinuses and throat associated with colds. These two oils can also open up congested airways and clear out clogged sinus passages.
- If you have dandruff or an itchy scalp, rosemary essential oil can provide itch relief and dramatically reduce irritation.
- Thyme essential oil is known for its potency as an anti-inflammatory. It's been shown to reduce respiratory inflammation when inhaled.
4. Benefits of Essential Oils for Pain Relief
Aromatherapy can significantly reduce pain, as the oils can be absorbed through the skin. The topical use of essential oils in the treatment of pain is completely safe and works quickly.
Essential Oils for Pain Relief
- Ginger, frankincense, and myrrh essential oils can provide fast relief to the muscles, joints, and tendons for arthritis pain.
- Helichrysum oil can heal damaged muscle tissue and reduce pain associated with illnesses such as fibromyalgia.
- Chamomile oil can quickly relieve pain related to the digestive system, as well as menstrual cramps. Chamomile oil is also an effective pain relief treatment for lower back and muscle pain.
- Peppermint essential oil can instantly relieve pain associated with gas when ingested. It can also relieve nausea and indigestion.
- Both lavender and rosemary essential oils have been shown to greatly reduce tension headaches and migraines. By applying these oils directly to the temples and on either side of the nose, the inhalation sends quick pain relief, as these oils are received by the brain in seconds.
5. Prevent Certain Illnesses and Boost the Immune System
Many essential oils have anti-fungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent the development of certain illnesses. Aromatherapy can also improve the immune system, as essential oils that are breathed in enter the lungs and are then absorbed into the bloodstream.
Essential Oils to Boost the Immune System
- Eucalyptus, peppermint, and tea tree essential oils can greatly prevent colds by keeping your passageways clear of congestion and bacteria.
- Cinnamon, eucalyptus, oregano, sage, and frankincense essential oils have been shown to boost immune system function when inhaled.
- Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal that can prevent cuts and fungus from developing into severe infections.
- Clove essential oil has successfully boosted immune system function in patients with Lyme disease.
- A powerful antibacterial, oregano oil can be ingested to heal infections throughout the body, preventing them from developing into more serious conditions.
- Garlic essential oil is a powerful healing oil that can be ingested to fight off various fungal, viral, and bacterial infections.
6. Heal Skin Irritations
Certain essential oils have powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making them a highly effective natural way to heal skin irritations of all kinds. When applied topically to the skin, these essential oils quickly get absorbed into the deeper levels of skin tissue and promote healing.
Essential Oils to Heal Skin Irritations
- Tea tree essential oil can effectively reduce pimples and blemishes by killing the bacteria on the face that causes acne. It can also reduce eczema and provide quick relief to insect bites and sunburn.
- To heal cuts quickly, apply lavender essential oil to the skin directly. The antibacterial properties of lavender essential oil will hasten the healing process.
- Lemongrass essential oil is an effective facial astringent, eradicating acne and significantly reducing the appearance of large pores.
- Basil essential oil can reduce itching and irritation associated with insect bites and eczema.
- Rosemary essential oil can reduce skin irritation on the scalp and face by working as a gentle anti-inflammatory.
- To treat sun damage, apply carrot seed essential oil to the skin. This will reduce sunburns effectively.
7. Safer Alternative to Candles and Incense
Aromatherapy is an effective way to make your home smell wonderful in a completely safe way. Candles and incense put your home at risk of fire, and are especially dangerous if you have pets or small children. However, by using an oil diffuser, you can dramatically change the smell of your home without putting your precious belongings at risk.
An oil diffuser is a small device that can be placed on any surface of your home. It acts as a miniature humidifier, filling the room with steam. Simply fill the tank with water and add 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil combination. As the steam develops, the fragrances will take over your home, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy while you go on with your daily routine.
This video shows you how easy it is to use an oil diffuser in your home.
We hope that you found this article to be incredibly helpful. By understanding the many benefits of essential oils and aromatherapy, you can heal your mind and body in a completely safe and natural way. Aromatherapy has been around for centuries and is an effective way to treat an enormous variety of ailments.
If you enjoyed the article or have any questions about aromatherapy, let us know in the comments below. If you know anyone else who can benefit from the benefits of aromatherapy, feel free to share this article.
Like this post?
Share the below image on your favorite social media website (like Pinterest)!