Thanks for purchasing Novice to Expert: 6 Steps to Learn Anything, Increase Your Knowledge, and Master New Skills.
I’ve put together these notes of every link that’s mentioned in Novice to Expert to help with your self-educational efforts.
Also, if you haven't joined our free companion website, which has the bonus report 147 Websites and Apps to Learn Something New, then I encourage you to check it out here: http://www.developgoodhabits.com/expertwebsite
IMPORTANT: As another way of saying “thanks,” I’m offering a free PDF version of this book. Just forward your Audible receipt to [email protected] and I’ll hook you up with a copy.
Let’s get to those notes…
The 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss
Tim Ferriss Experiment – Show on FX network
“Four stages of competence” model by Noel Burch was created in 1970 for the Gordon Training International
7 Style of Learning [on Pinterest]
YouTube – an online learning tool
Learning Styles Online – provides an online test to determine your learning style
Expert Enough – a blog by Corbett Barr online learning tool
Audiobooks can be found where you’d find regular books:
- Your local library (in CD format or digitally through the Overdrive program.)
- Amazon (through the Audible program.)
- iTunes (through their audiobook program.)
Example Books on real estate investing:
- Retire Rich with Real Estate by Marc Andersen, Ph.D
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Entrusted by Andrew L. Howell, David R. York
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, Dave Jenks, Jay Papasan
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
- The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner
- Tax-Free Wealth by Tom Wheelwright
- Getting the Money by Susan Lassiter-Lyons
- Building Wealth One House at a Time by John Schaub
- What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow… And 36 Other Key Financial Measures by Frank Gallinelli
How to listen to podcasts: Simply download the iTunes or Stitcher app to your phone, type the names of the shows listed below in the search bar, and then subscribe to the ones that look interesting.
Example podcasts on real estate investing:
- Bigger Pockets with Josh Dorkin and Brandon Turner
- Listen Money Matters with Andrew Fiebert
- Real Estate Investing with Clayton Morris
- Real Estate Investing Mastery with Joe McCall
- CashFlow Diary with J. Massey
- Rich Dad Radio Show with Robert Kiyosaki
For more information on search filters, check out the quick tutorial page that YouTube provides.
Instructional video websites:
Free Videos By The Bigger Pockets Brand On Their Youtube Channel
Meetup.com – the best resource for finding a group in your area
Craigslist – check out the Lessons & Tutoring section
To learn more about this strategy, you should check out the free podcasting tutorial provided by Pat Flynn of the Smart Passive Income website.
Bigger Pockets forum – a virtual community related to real estate investing; has a bookstore and offers premium membership
According to Pam A. Mueller of Princeton University, since people type faster than they write, this often causes them transcribe everything they hear.
Evernote is a cross-platform tool that allows you to take notes, capture ideas, and organize this information into a file structure that’s based on your personal needs.
ToDoist is the perfect tool for creating and managing project lists. To get started, the ToDoist blog provides a quick “getting started” guide.
If you’re someone who has trouble with sticking to a new habit, then you should check out one of these three tools:
Anders Ericsson first wrote about deliberate practice in his paper, The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance.
James Clear – blog post on deliberate practice
Aubrey Daniels provides another example of how to master the fundamentals when learning a skill
Here are just a few resources you can use to find a potential coach:
Many studies have shown it’s important to take frequent breaks because it improves your productivity and creativity.
The Pomodoro Technique – where you focus on a single task for 25 minutes, take a 5-minute break, and then begin another 25-minute block of time.
The Freedom Journal was launched this year by John Lee Dumas, a popular entrepreneur and podcaster.
Three great resources to get started on Deliberate Practice:
- Talent is Overrated by Jeff Colvin
- The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
- Expert Enough (Blog) by Corbett Barr
Accountability is an in-depth topic. So, if you want to learn more about it, then I recommend checking out my other book, The Accountability Manifesto.
Mini Habits is a powerful concept that has revolutionized my ability to get things done without feeling like I’m not missing anything important.
A great story to illustrate this point comes from the Live Your Legend site where Scott Dinsmore shared a story about meeting a friend of Warren Buffet’s pilot.
Emotional Abuse Breakthrough – book by Barrie Davenport
More Books by Steve
- The Miracle Morning for Writers: How to Build a Writing Ritual That Increases Your Impact and Your Income
- 10-Minute Digital Declutter: The Simple Habit to Eliminate Technology Overload
- 10-Minute Declutter: The Stress-Free Habit for Simplifying Your Home
- Crowdsource Your Success: How Accountability Helps You Stick to Goals
- Confident You: An Introvert’s Guide to Success in Life and Business
- Exercise Enough: 32 Tactics for Building the Exercise Habit (Even If You Hate Working Out)
- The Daily Entrepreneur: 33 Success Habits for Small Business Owners, Freelancers and Aspiring 9-to-5 Escape Artists
- Master Evernote: The Unofficial Guide to Organizing Your Life with Evernote (Plus 75 Ideas for Getting Started)
- Bad Habits No More: 25 Steps to Break ANY Bad Habit
- Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less
- To-Do List Makeover: A Simple Guide to Getting the Important Things Done
- 23 Anti-Procrastination Habits: How to Stop Being Lazy and Get Results in Your Life
- S.M.A.R.T. Goals Made Simple: 10 Steps to Master Your Personal and Career Goals
- 115 Productivity Apps to Maximize Your Time: Apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and PC/iOS Desktop Computers
- Writing Habit Mastery: How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block
- Declutter Your Inbox: 9 Proven Steps to Eliminate Email Overload
- Wake Up Successful: How to Increase Your Energy and Achieve Any Goal with a Morning Routine
- 10,000 Steps Blueprint: The Daily Walking Habit for Healthy Weight Loss and Lifelong Fitness
- 70 Healthy Habits: How to Eat Better, Feel Great, Get More Energy and Live a Healthy Lifestyle
- Resolutions That Stick! How 12 Habits Can Transform Your New Year