120 Gratitude Journal Prompts to Create More Thankfulness in Your Life
Do you often feel surrounded by negativity?
Every day we are bombarded by bad news, political discord, and catastrophic world events.
But if you turned off the television, shut down your phone, and closed the lid on your computer, life wouldn't seem so bad, would it?
You have most of what you need and a lot of what you want in life. There are good things happening all around you. People love you. There's food on the table. You have a bed to sleep in and a roof over your head.
The antidote to our unhappiness isn't the newest thing, the latest diet fad, or the next achievement.
The antidote is gratitude.
What is Gratitude?
Gratitude is expressing appreciation for what you have right now. You have gratitude for the people in your life. And gratitude for all good things that are available to you in this moment.
Being grateful isn't an idea you stick on a Post-It note for a quick shot of feel-good. There's a reason (many reasons) why you are hearing it touted so much.
Gratitude can transform you. It can pull you from the vortex of negativity that is sucking the life out of you and give you a renewed sense of purpose and joy.
And the simplest way to practice gratitude is to turn it into a daily habit, specifically by committing to gratitude journaling. (Here are a few gratitude journals you can use to get started with this practice.)
120 Gratitude Journal Prompts
1. Describe your happiest childhood memory?
2. What is a popular song that you enjoy (and why do you like it)?
3. What is one of your favorite songs from your childhood?
4. Who is the one friend you can always rely on?
5. What is the biggest accomplishment in your personal life?
6. What is the biggest accomplishment in your professional life?
7. What is your favorite memory of your father (or stepfather)?
8. What is your favorite memory of your mother (or stepmother?
9. Describe your favorite pet (or former pet)?
10. List 10 hobbies and activities that bring you joy?
11. What is a mistake that I’ve made, which ultimately led to a positive experience?
12. Describe a family tradition that you are most grateful for.
13. Who is a teacher or mentor that has made an impact on your life and how did they help you?
14. What do you like the most about your town or city?
15. Describe your favorite location in your house and why you like it.
16. What is one something you’ve learned this week that you're thankful for?
17. Who made you smile in the past 24 hours and why?
18. What is a recent purchase that has added value to your life.
19. What is biggest lesson you learned in childhood?
20. List 10 ways you can share your gratitude with other people in the next 24 hours.
21. Describe your favorite smell.
22. Describe your favorite sound.
23. Describe your favorite sight.
24. Describe your favorite taste.
25. Describe your favorite sensation.
26. How can you pamper yourself in the next 24 hours?
27. Name and write about someone you’ve never met, but who has helped your life in some way.
28. How is your life more positive today than it was a year ago?
29. What do other people like about you?
30. List 10 skills you have that most people don’t possess.
31. Describe the last time someone helped you solve a problem at work.
32. What is your favorite part of your daily routine?
33. What is a great book you’ve recently read?
34. What is your favorite holiday and why do you love it?
35. What is your favorite T.V. show and why do you love it?
36. What is your favorite movie and why do you love it?
37. What is your favorite way to enjoy nature? (i.e. walking in the woods, sitting on the beach, or hiking in the mountains, etc.)
38. Write about a recent obstacle you faced and how you overcame it.
39. Describe a favorite pet and what you love(d) about it.
40. List 10 things you are looking forward to in the next year.
41. What do you love most about your country?
42. What is your favorite food you love to indulge in?
43. Write about someone who makes your life better.
44. If you’re single, what is your favorite part about being single? Or if you’re married, what is your favorite part about being married?
45. What is today’s weather and what is one positive thing you can say about it?
46. Describe a weird family tradition that you love?
47. When was the last time you had a genuine belly laugh and why was it so funny?
48. What body part or organ are you most grateful for today? (e.g., your eyes because you got to see a new movie)
49. What is a major lesson that you learned from your job?
50. List 10 items that you take for granted, which might not be available to people in other parts of the world (i.e. Clean water, electricity, etc.)
51. Write about a recent time when a stranger did something nice for you.
52. What is the hardest thing you’ve had to do, which led to a major personal accomplishment?
53. What is one aspect about your health that you’re more grateful for?
54. Who can you count on whenever you need someone to talk to and why?
55. Describe the last time you procrastinated on a task that wasn’t as difficult as you thought it would be.
56. What is your favorite habit and why it is an important part of your daily routine?
57. Describe a “perfect day” that you recently had.
58. What is a favorite country that you’ve visited?
59. Describe a funny YouTube video that you recently watched.
60. List 10 qualities do you like about yourself.
61. What is one thing you look forward to enjoying each day after work?
62. What was something you did for the first time recently?
63. What is what one lesson you learn from rude people?
64. When was the last time you had a great nap where you awoke feeling fully refreshed?
65. Shower or bath? Which do you prefer and why?
66. Write about a time where you felt courageous.
67. What are a few ways you can appreciate your health whenever you’re sick?
68. What is a favorite drink that you like to enjoy each day?
69. Who has forgiven you for a mistake you’ve made in the past?
70. List 10 things you have now that you didn’t have 5 years ago.
71. What aspects of your job do you enjoy the most?
72. What is something positive you can learn from one of your negative qualities? (i.e. Being anxious means you’re really good at planning things out.)
73. What are a few aspects of modern technology that you love?
74. What is a great recipe you’ve prepared that others rave about?
75. Describe a recent time when you truly felt at peace.
76. What is your favorite quote or bit of wisdom that you like to frequently share with others?
77. What is your favorite sports team? Describe a cherished memory you have when cheering for this team.
78. Are you a morning person or a night owl? What do you love most about this part of the day?
79. What is the last thank you note you’ve received and why?
80. List 10 of your favorite possessions.
81. What is a small win that you accomplished in the past 24 hours?
82. Describe one thing that you like about your daily commute to work?
83. What is a personal viewpoint that positively defines you as a person?
84. Describe an experience that was painful, but made you a stronger person.
85. What is your favorite season and what do you like about it?
86. What makes you beautiful?
87. What are you most looking forward to in this week?
88. Describe a small, everyday thing that you enjoy with a special person in your life.
89. What is an app or piece of technology that you use every day which adds value to your life?
90. List 10 things you like about your job or workplace.
91. Describe a favorite outfit and why you feel great when wearing it.
92. What activity do you enjoy most when alone?
93. What activity do you enjoy when with others?
94. Describe your oldest friend. What do you like most about this person?
95. How have you recently cared for your physical wellbeing?
96. How have you recently cared for your mental wellbeing?
97. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
98. What is your favorite charity and why do you support it?
99. Write about a challenging person in your life (i.e. someone you frequently disagree with) and the qualities you like about this person.
100. List 10 things you like the most about your country?
101. What book are you most grateful for having read?
102. What hobbies (or activities) would you miss if you could no longer do them?
103. What is something you love(d) about your father (or step-father)?
104. What is something you love(d) about your mother (or step-mother)?
105. Where was last vacation. Describe what you did there.
106. What is something that comes easily to you, but is challenging for others?
107. What is something that you’ve recently fixed?
108. Describe something positive in your life that you didn’t have five years ago.
109. What makes you happy when you’re feeling down.
110. List 10 major life accomplishments that you’re proud to have achieved.
111. What artist, musician, or author are you most grateful for?
112. What do you love most about the current season?
113. What gift did you enjoy receiving in the past year?
114. What freedoms are you most grateful for?
115. Look around the room and list all the items that you’re grateful for.
116. What fear are you currently facing? How can you use this fear to your advantage?
117. What is your top goal? Why is this goal important to you?
118. What is your favorite emotion to feel?
119. What makes you happy to be alive?
120. List 10 things that you hope will happen in the next year.
Free Download: The 90-Day Gratitude Journal
Want to get started right away with practicing gratitude?
If so, then download the free digital version of my best-selling journal called “The 90-Day Gratitude Journal: A Mindful Practice for a Lifetime of Happiness.”
With this journal, you will build a powerful daily gratitude habit and re-discover all the great things that are already in your life.
Click or tap this link to grab your copy: https://www.developgoodhabits.com/90day-gratitude
A Recap of Gratitude Journaling
Embracing gratitude can have a transformative effect on your life. If you commit to responding to all of these 120 gratitude journal prompts you can will start on the path to:
- Increase your happiness.
- Improve your mental health.
- Allow you to savor every positive experience.
- Help you cope with major life challenges.
- Create a sense of resilience in how you approach challenging experiences.
- Boost your self-esteem.
- Foster empathy for others.
- Provide a better night's sleep.
- Strengthen both your personal and romantic relationships.
After gratitude journaling, you’ve probably experienced many of the benefits that I just listed. Not only is it a great habit that improves your life, it can have a positive spillover effect to the people around you.
Hopefully you have found some gratitude prompts that will help your daily journaling efforts. Do you have any gratitude journal prompts to add to this list? If so, please share them in the comment section below.
Finally, if you liked this post, you can express your own gratitude by sharing this post on your favorite social media platform.